none
Word 2016 register events of MS Word objects using DispEventAdvise on Word applicationevents causes cursor to spin forever on close document RRS feed

• Question

• In C++/MFC com add-in for MS Word 2016 registering events of MS Word objects using DispEventAdvise on Word applicationevents causes the wait cursor to spin forever when a user closes a Word document  from the backstage . The same add-in works with fine for previous version of MS Word (2007, 2010, 2013).

Did something changes with Word 2016 that needed to be handled on DocumentBeforeClose event or need to pass back additional info to Word application?

thanks

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Maneesh,

To be honesty, I am not very familiar with C++/MFC. Would you mind test your requirement with C# VSTO add-ins to check whether this issue still exist?

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:07 AM
  • Hi Maneesh S,

Would you minding sharing some basic demo code to demonstrate the problem?

What event are your registering, how you register it, etc... It will help us debug the issue.

One quick question is have you tried using DispEventUnAdvise to breaks the event connection on closing?

• Edited by Jackie_ Wednesday, March 23, 2016 5:44 AM
    Monday, March 21, 2016 5:14 AM
  • Hi Maneesh S,

After some investigation, I found this issue is not related to C++/MFC addin registering MS Word events.

In fact, if you create an empty VSTO project, and disable all the other add-ins, you will still see the same spinning issue.

However, immediately when you move your cursor out of word context pane, it'll stop spinning.

Based on this, I think we can conclude this is an MS Word 2016 rendering issue. You don't need to do anything special in your DocumentBeforeClose event handler.

• Proposed as answer by Jackie_ Monday, March 28, 2016 7:10 AM
    Monday, March 28, 2016 7:10 AM