none
How can you open a project for editing by clicking a link inside a project site? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to put a tile (promoted link) on a project site's home page that would open that project in Project Professional for editing.  I would like to save all the steps of going to the Project Center, finding the project, and clicking on the ribbon.  I presume this is embarrassingly easy but I have tried a bunch of different approaches and haven't had any luck.  Thanks for your help!
    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 8:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Sykonder,

MS don't make this easy at all, in fact I have no idea how to do that so you are not alone!  Perhaps someone out there knows....

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 11:38 PM
  • Hi,

like Ben, I have no idea how to open directly for editing. I don't think that you can start cceck-out process without custom code.

But at least there is a shorter way out of the box to open project: On the Project Site, you should see a link "Project Details" in quick launch bar. This link will open project in last used PDP. If project was already checked out in browser, it will be open in edit mode. If it was not checked out previously, user can just check out with one additional click in ribbon.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Thursday, February 23, 2017 6:00 AM
  • Hi,

I second Barbara about the alternate, as per my knowledge there is no direct way opening a project for editing (requires check out). You may require to develop a custom button to server your purpose that would take you to project schedule and checkout at the same time.

Regards,

Faizan.

Regards, Syed Faizan ur Rehman, CBPM®,PRINCE2®, MCTS

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 7:02 AM