none
Windows HCK Screen Size/Dimension Certification Requirements RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I am new to the HCK certification process without any formal training so any help and/or feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Currently my company is make a wide array of touch screen monitors with varying sizes from 15" up to 32"+. My questions are:

1.) For certification purposes, if (for example) I was able to successfully pass the 15" monitor and the 32" monitor, can I assume the other monitor sizes in between the two sizes be considered certified also?

2.) Whether yes/no to question #1, do the different monitor sizes need its own unique PID number to pass certification, or do I have to use unique PIDs for each monitor size?

Apologies if I might have worded any of the questions incorrectly. Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Thanks again,

David

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:29 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

With Windows 7 we introduced support for touch, and with Windows 8 we put more of a focus on touch with the re-designed user interface.  With the redesign and more focus on touch, we need to ensure the experience is as the end user expects it to be.  With that we have created a definition of what a touch device or as we call it a touch stack is defined to be.  We have published that definition in a policy document which is available for download at the following link.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh852370.aspx

We've defined the touch stack as the following:

The components that define a touch device are not bound to a specific touch technology and may include (but are not limited to):

• Controller, including all touch device firmware, configuration software, integrated circuits, and board design.
    • Conductor layout and pattern.
    • Glass and/or film configuration, including digitizer, display and cover glass stack, glass/film thickness, bonding architecture, and surface treatment.
    • Display characteristics, including screen size, aspect ratio, and resolution.
    • Image sensor positions (locations and height) and reflector material.
    • Transducers or other methods of sensor detection.
    • Communication bus (USB or I<sup>2</sup>C)

So based off of the screen size changing, you will need to submit each of the different screen sizes. 

With respect to your second question, we are in the process of discussing that topic internally.  If there are any changes, we'll communicate in the certification newsletter. 

Friday, May 3, 2013 4:00 PM