none
Azure SQL elastic pool on standard pricing tier won't allow databases to grow over 2GB RRS feed

• Question

• We moved a SQL Database into a SQL Elastic Pool on Standard Tier, being aware that Basic Tier only allows each Database in the pool to reach a Max of 2GB, we made sure to select the Standard Tier allowing the DB to reach up to 250GB and 200 eDTU's.

However it does not matter when you move the Database into the pool as it stops allowing Writes to the Database advising that it has reached it's quota at 2GB.

We Create a New Elastic Pool again on Standard Tier, made sure the Database itself is on S2 Standard and as soon as it hits the
    elastic pool it stops accepting Writes to the Database.

Please advise on how to get this issue resolved.

Monday, March 6, 2017 12:15 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please modify the size limit of the database to the limit of the current pool or increase the size gradually.

ALTER DATABASE DB1 MODIFY (MAXSIZE = ? GB);

Change ? by the number of GB.

Then run the following statement and share the result with us if the issue continues.

SELECT DATABASEPROPERTYEX(DB_NAME(), 'MaxSizeInBytes');

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, March 6, 2017 1:01 PM
  • Alberto, would it help OP if he first moves the database to an S0 (or higher), and then moves it into his elastic pool?

Josh

Monday, March 6, 2017 4:17 PM
  • Hello Josh,

Maybe. Thank you for providing another workaround/solution for him to try!

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, March 6, 2017 5:20 PM
  • Hi Josh

Thanks for the reply.

The Database was on a S1 Standard Tier Price Plan before we moved it into the Elastic Pool.

It seems that even though the database could grow to 250GB it did not know it's allowed to.

I think we will try Alberto's method and set the MaxSize Value in the Database itself.

Regards

Quintin Rudman

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 1:08 PM
  • Hi Alberto

Thank you, I think this may be the answer for us, there seems to be more than

just the Hosting Tier to consider when working with Azure resources.

I will apply it in my next change slot and let you know if it resolved our issue.

Regards

Quintin Rudman

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 1:27 PM
  • Hello,

I am glad to know.

We are here to help you.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 2:29 PM
  • Quintin, I went back to reread your post, I guess I misunderstood before.

Certainly try Alberto's idea.

Actually, using his SELECT DATABASEPROPERTYEX command, what is the value of that property before you make the change? (of course it may already be too late to ask!)

Good luck.

Josh

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 4:23 PM