Reference required to assembly 'App_Code.i8oyhwru, Version=1.0.2007.41359, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' containing the base class 'AppChecker.Global'. Add one to your project. RRS feed

• Question

• User1144942592 posted

I’ve managed to fix all the 'errors' in my project except this one. When I first upgraded my asp.net project to 2.0 there was over a hundred errors. I don’t think they were all real errors though. I had a module, "module1.vb" which contains a few functions, for example. All the pages trying to use the functions had errors saying my function was not declared. I changed the module to type to public from the default friend and now suddenly everything is okay. (Well actually visual studio crashed at this point and had to be restarted, but that’s probably unrelated)  I bet if I change it back it will still work, but I don’t want to screw with that right now.

Another weird error I was getting was when i opened a .vb file it would complain that every textbox, label, and listbox etc. I referenced in the code was undeclared. Then I open up the corresponding .aspx file and it’s all fine again. WTF?

In case anyone is actually going to consider fixing this thing, I’ll mention another problem I encountered today -- for some reason the conversion renamed all my dataset xsd files to AppChecker.Oldfilename.xsd, except it FORGOT one set of the three files. So I renamed the files to match the other ones and moved them and it works now.

Anyhow, I’ve opened and closed all the files enough times for visual studio to stop giving me fake errors, or whatever you call the stuff I just spent a few hours 'fixing' by doing basically nothing... but now every file I open has the following error twice:
    Reference required to assembly 'App_Code.i8oyhwru, Version=1.0.2007.41359, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' containing the base class 'AppChecker.Global'. Add one to your project.

AppChecker is the name of the project
    I don’t see any problems with my global.asax.vb file... except I don’t know why that file is in the app_code folder but it leaves the global.asax file in the root.

It either says the location is the page directive, like this one: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Inherits="AppChecker.WebForm2" CodeFile="Queue.aspx.vb" %>

One page I noticed it seems to be okay with the @page part but then it gets to <o:p></o:p>

<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.UserName") %>

which it highlights and says has the exact same error...

Well I’m sure there’s a simple solution to this problem, the conversion Wizard probably forgot to rename or move something again.  Googling that error got me nowhere, and the conversion log doesn’t have any serious errors, so please someone tell me what’s wrong this time.

Friday, July 1, 2005 5:07 AM

All replies

• User308589185 posted
    Hi,
     We have done multiple fixes in conversion wizard. One of them was fixing VB modules.

If the xsd files are not included in the original vb project files they won't be converted. Can you please verify this?
    We fixed conversion wizard to list files which are excluded in the project file. You can then manually exclude them from web (new change added in post-beta2)

To isolate the 'Reference required to assembly 'App_Code.i8oyhwru, Version=1.0.2007.41359, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' containing the base class 'AppChecker.Global'' can you  please move the global.asax.vb & global.asax file ouside web. That way we can identify if something in these files are
    causing the problem.

Baiju
    Friday, July 1, 2005 11:58 AM
  • User1144942592 posted
    well apparently opening and closing the files and restarting visual studio a few more times"fixed" that error too... obviously that shouldn't be necessary, if you want to take a look at a copy of my site to duplicate the problems i've had let me know

i'm not at the computer with visual studio 2003 installed right now so i can't check if that other xsd file was in the project or not
    Saturday, July 2, 2005 4:12 AM
  • User1041807581 posted
    Hi,

I am getting the same error, but what i did notice is that it only happens when you build the Web Site with the aspx file open. If you close all open files in VS 2005 and build you don't get any errors.

Also the random characters after APP_CODE. change each time you build the project.

Hope this helps!
    Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:16 AM
  • User1041807581 posted
    I have managed to fix the issue by deleting and re-creating the global.ascx file. Just copied all code from each function before deleting and pasted it back later.

Intrestingly the upgrade process had created 2 files: global.ascx.vb in app_code folder and global.ascx in the root of web. When i added the new file there is only 1 now in the root?
    Wednesday, January 25, 2006 3:12 PM
  • User-1584880216 posted
    Thanks for posting this. I had the same error (Reference required to assembly 'App_Code...). I had just exported about 30 modules of VB code out of Access and hooked them into my project, with all significant code lines commented out. I thought I was in for a headache.
    Seeing your post suggested simply closing and re-opening VS. I did that, and I now have no erorrs.
    Tuesday, April 18, 2006 12:03 PM
  • User2128083635 posted

This one worked for me. thanks for the post @draughtlager

Monday, July 23, 2018 7:03 PM