none
Unable to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Vista Home Premium? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,

I'm trying to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP 1 on a Vista Home Premium machine. I have attempted to do thi via Windows Update and via direct download from MS downloads.

Regardless of which method I choose, the installation fails with the following error message:

DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS) is not installed.
    I'm confused, I can't find a download of .NET Framework 2.0SP1 for Vista. I have attempted to download and install this update, and it tells me that it is not supported on Vista.

I currently have installed:

• .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2
    • .NET Compact Framework 3.5
    • .NET Framework 3.5
    So, the error message is right -- I don't have .NET Framework 2.0SP1 installed, but it appears I can't install this version of the Framework, because it's not supported on Vista?

Can anyone give me advice on how to resolve this issue?

Many thanks in advance,

planetthoughtful

• Changed type YiChun Chen Friday, March 6, 2009 2:08 AM Do not follow up
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 3:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Planetthoughtful,

The supported operating systems of .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 which you can download from official website is as the following:

• Windows 2000 Service Pack 4;
    • Windows Server 2003;
    • Windows XP Service Pack 2

The packages for the .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and 3.0 SP1 only include MSI-based installers.  Because the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 are shipped as OS components on Windows Vista, you cannot install the MSI-based versions of these service packs on Windows Vista. You can get .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 via installing .NET Framework 3.5 or Vista SP1.

Could you please try to help me to use collect tool to collect the log files of .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 from your "%temp%" folder?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx

Then compress them into a zip file and post a link back.

Steps:
    - Try to clean your "%temp%" folder
    - Install .Net Framework 3.5 SP1
    - Collect the collect tool file logs from "%temp%" folder

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 5:57 AM
  • Hi Planetthoughtful,

We are changing the issue type to “Comment” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by editing your initial post and changing the radio button at the top of the post editor window. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

Thank you!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, March 6, 2009 2:08 AM