none
Project Server 2010 PSI - Keep Project dates independent of Task dates RRS feed

• Question

• When using PSI to create and update projects, I'm having issues with the project's finish date. No matter which project finish date I select, it always gets changed to the task finish date which could be months before the project end date. Is there a switch I should be changing to keep Project from calculating the project date based on the task date? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Monday, February 7, 2011 7:47 PM

Answers

• The project finish date is always calculated based on the latest task date. To handle this, you can create a finish milestone task. Set that to your desired project completion date. Then if you want to change the project finish date, you would just change the date on that task.

This approach works only if the desired project finish is later than the other real tasks in the project. If it is before, then you would need to add the following two actions: Link the chain of real tasks to the finish milestone you create, set a must finish on or finish no later than constraint on the finish milestone. This may create negative total slack in your project, so beware!

Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Monday, February 7, 2011 8:23 PM