Fatal Error debugging HResult=0x8007000e RRS feed

• Question

• I have a .net 3.0 solution in VS 2005 Professional with SP1 with about 60 projects.  For the past couple of weeks, I have heard complaints from other developers on my team that they were occasionally see an error message when debugging that causes them to have to restart visual studio.  The error is as follows:

"A fatal error has occurred and debugging needs to be terminated.  For more details, please see the Microsoft Help and Support web site. HRESULT=0x8007000e. ErrorCode=0x0."

This wasn't a huge problem before, but as of yesterday, everyone is receiving this error 100% of the time.  It is impossible to run the project through the debugger since the IDE keeps crashing. 

The solution contains two startup projects.  The first is a server which is a console app and the second is a winforms client.  A few of the projects are common class libraries which are referenced by other projects.  The bulk of the projects are plugins to the system that are dynamically loaded at runtime into their own appdomains by the client and server.

If I run only a single project through the debugger, for instance the server, I do not see the problem.  The error seems to appear at the point where the application is loading its plugins, so I think this might be related to the number of assemblies dynamically loaded by the application.

Update:

I have applied the hot fix for KB number 912884 which did not help. 

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:38 PM

Answers

• Cool. I see the debugger team will be investigating this. I think it is very likely that someone in VS is corrupting memory leading to that MSBuild callstack -- we're just a symptom here.

Dan

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 4:47 PM

All replies

• it looks like an out of memory problem.  We recently added a few more plugins to the system, so that would explain why we are seeing it 100% now.  I have seen this error once when trying to load the client after the server was already running.

Error    1    The "ResolveAssemblyReference" task failed unexpectedly.
    System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
       at System.Reflection.AssemblyName.nGetFileInformation(String s)
       at System.Reflection.AssemblyName.GetAssemblyName(String assemblyFile)
       at Microsoft.Build.Shared.AssemblyNameExtension.GetAssemblyNameEx(String path)
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.SystemState.GetAssemblyName(String path)
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.Resolver.FileMatchesAssemblyName(AssemblyNameExtension assemblyName, Boolean isPrimaryProjectReference, Boolean wantSpecificVersion, Boolean allowMismatchBetweenFusionNameAndFileName, String pathToCandidateAssembly, ResolutionSearchLocation searchLocation)
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.Resolver.ResolveAsFile(String fullPath, AssemblyNameExtension assemblyName, Boolean isPrimaryProjectReference, Boolean wantSpecificVersion, Boolean allowMismatchBetweenFusionNameAndFileName, ArrayList assembliesConsideredAndRejected)
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.Resolver.ResolveFromDirectory(AssemblyNameExtension assemblyName, Boolean isPrimaryProjectReference, Boolean wantSpecificVersion, String[] executableExtensions, String directory, ArrayList assembliesConsideredAndRejected)
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.DirectoryResolver.Resolve(AssemblyNameExtension assemblyName, String rawFileNameCandidate, Boolean isPrimaryProjectReference, Boolean wantSpecificVersion, String[] executableExtensions, String hintPath, String assemblyFolderKey, ArrayList assembliesConsideredAndRejected, String& foundPath, Boolean& userRequestedSpecificFile)
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.AssemblyResolution.ResolveReference(IEnumerable`1 jaggedResolvers, AssemblyNameExtension assemblyName, String rawFileNameCandidate, Boolean isPrimaryProjectReference, Boolean wantSpecificVersion, String[] executableExtensions, String hintPath, String assemblyFolderKey, ArrayList assembliesConsideredAndRejected, String& resolvedSearchPath, Boolean& userRequestedSpecificFile)
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ReferenceTable.ResolveReference(AssemblyNameExtension assemblyName, String rawFileNameCandidate, Reference reference)
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ReferenceTable.ResolveAssemblyFilenames()
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ReferenceTable.ComputeClosure()
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ResolveAssemblyReference.Execute(FileExists fileExists, DirectoryExists directoryExists, GetDirectories getDirectories, GetAssemblyName getAssemblyName, GetAssemblyMetadata getAssemblyMetadata, GetRegistrySubKeyNames getRegistrySubKeyNames, GetRegistrySubKeyDefaultValue getRegistrySubKeyDefaultValue, GetLastWriteTime getLastWriteTime)
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ResolveAssemblyReference.Execute()
       at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecuteTask(ExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, Hashtable projectItemsAvailableToTask, BuildPropertyGroup projectPropertiesAvailableToTask, Boolean& taskClassWasFound)

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 5:26 PM
  • Just saw this error once:

Error 1 The "ResolveAssemblyReference" task failed unexpectedly.
    System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.IAssemblyCache.QueryAssemblyInfo(UInt32 dwFlags, String pszAssemblyName, ASSEMBLY_INFO& pAsmInfo)
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.GlobalAssemblyCache.GetLocationImpl(AssemblyNameExtension assemblyName, String targetProcessorArchitecture)
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.GlobalAssemblyCache.GetLocation(AssemblyNameExtension strongName, String targetProcessorArchitecture)
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.Reference.SetFinalCopyLocalState(AssemblyNameExtension assemblyName, String[] frameworkPaths, String targetProcessorArchitecture)
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ReferenceTable.GetReferenceItems(ITaskItem[]& primaryFiles, ITaskItem[]& dependencyFiles, ITaskItem[]& relatedFiles, ITaskItem[]& satelliteFiles, ITaskItem[]& serializationAssemblyFiles, ITaskItem[]& scatterFiles, ITaskItem[]& copyLocalFiles)
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ResolveAssemblyReference.Execute(FileExists fileExists, DirectoryExists directoryExists, GetDirectories getDirectories, GetAssemblyName getAssemblyName, GetAssemblyMetadata getAssemblyMetadata, GetRegistrySubKeyNames getRegistrySubKeyNames, GetRegistrySubKeyDefaultValue getRegistrySubKeyDefaultValue, GetLastWriteTime getLastWriteTime)
       at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ResolveAssemblyReference.Execute()
       at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecuteTask(ExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, Hashtable projectItemsAvailableToTask, BuildPropertyGroup projectPropertiesAvailableToTask, Boolean& taskClassWasFound) 

Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:03 PM
  •  

Hi there,

Sorry you're having this difficulty. We haven't seen this bug before, I think. Could you open an issue using the instructions at the top of the forum, so we can investigate.

For bugs like this it's essential that we have a way to reproduce it internally, so repro steps would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Dan

Monday, September 3, 2007 6:20 PM
  • Thanks Dan, I have entered an issue https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=296622
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 8:18 PM
  • Cool. I see the debugger team will be investigating this. I think it is very likely that someone in VS is corrupting memory leading to that MSBuild callstack -- we're just a symptom here.

Dan

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 4:47 PM
  • thanks.  I figured so much.  I originally posted this in the debugger forum, but it was moved somewhere along the way.  This issue is really hindering us and we are in the critical stage of our project.  Do you know when the debugger team will be looking at it?  I attatched a mini dump, so hoefully that helps.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 8:26 PM
  • We have the same problem.  We are running VS2005, compiling Web Application and Web Service under 2.0, Windows Xp operation system.  My project is much simpler.   All we do is run a Web Application project.  Try to attach to the Web Service that is called.  Get a crash with the same HResult as the user above had described  on the first attempt.  At this point we need to restart a web application becuase it crashed the session and I believe the whole aspnet thread.  We can attach on the second try.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:44 PM

• Has this issue been resolved?
    I have been seeing this on a very regular basis while attaching the debugger to the w3wp.

Thanks
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 4:28 PM
  •  

I'm getting this almost everytime I attach to the w3wp.exe process now in VS 2008. Very emo at this point. This only started happening last week for me. VS2008 has been fine for me for the last 2 months.
    Monday, February 11, 2008 9:34 AM
  •  

Is there already a solution to this problem. I'm getting it too when inheriting a Page in ASP.NET Sad
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:35 PM
  • I just had this issue too.  Don't know how to reproduce as it's not recurring, but I'm writing to add information about what's my case in case that's helpful: What I'm debugging is an ASP.Net website.  To debug, I attach to process.  After the error, when I try to go stop debugging, I get a messagebox "Cannot detach from one or more processes: [3576] aspnet_wp.exe: Unrecoverable API error.  Do you want to terminate them instead?" 

Also, what the code I was trying to debug is doing is to download an Excel file, but with content-disposition NOT containing the "attachment;" part of the value, so that the browser and Excel think what they're getting is the aspx file of the webpage itself, instead of the Excel file contents actually being downloaded. (I know that's not something I should do - actually the reason I'm debugging it is to find out where it's getting called form so I can take it out of the code).

Thursday, February 21, 2008 10:59 PM
  • Since 2 weeks I'm also having this problem a couple of times a day. Restarting the debugger or even Visual Studio itself helpes sometimes but it's very irritating and a time consuming issue.

I'm working on an XP machine in Visual Studio 2005 Team System Edition. I've also installed SP1 for Team System and Visual Studio.
    In my solution are 80 project that are used for the several web services and the website where building.

When I get this errormessage it's being followed by a message that the debugger can't detach from some of the webservice processes.
    So they're stopped and restarted next time I start the debugger again.

I've read that this is an "old" issue, but I've not read that it is resolved.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:36 AM
  • Also been getting this expensive problem for the last few months. VS2008 SP1, XP SP3, 4GB RAM (around 1.7GB free when it last happened a few seconds ago). Solution with 150+ projects. Happens when starting a web project randomly. Sometimes killing aspnet_wp will fix it for a while, only killing devenv seems to do the trick... This bug is costing us a lot of development time.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 1:34 PM
  • Hi,

after trying a couple things I've found a work around.

I only want to debug in one project so I only attach the debugger to this project process.
    I start the whole solution in non debugmode. (Using ctrl + F5). In this mode I never get this exception.
    Than I attach the debugger to only this proces (using alt + P). I select the web project with the port that it is running on.

Now only breakpoints of this project will be hit because only this project is loaded into the debugger.

I know it is not the solution to the problem but it have saved me a lot of time.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:46 AM
  • I have been getting this problem ever since my debugging started to include a WCF service. The particular solution contains about 10 projects, (5 class libraries and a couple web projects, and a couple of Test projects)

I try to attach to the w3p worker thread and 8 times out of 10 i get this damn error

I am definitely NOT out of memory - i have over a GB leftf!

It is getting very annoying and very time consuming - the error message and error code are next to useless if MS aint gonna do anything about it - apologies, but it is very frustrating - just taken more time out of my day to add to this thread.

The only workaround is to restart VS when it happens

System Details
    Vista Business, version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001,
    HP Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU  E4400 @ 2.00GHz, 2000Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

My VS2008 Product details are as follows ..... sorry its verbose but something may tell someone something about why this is happening

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
    Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 3.5 SP1

Installed Edition: Enterprise

Microsoft Visual Basic 2008   91899-270-3796377-60435
    Microsoft Visual Basic 2008

Microsoft Visual C# 2008   91899-270-3796377-60435
    Microsoft Visual C# 2008

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008   91899-270-3796377-60435
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Explorer   91899-270-3796377-60435
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Explorer
    Version 9.0.21022.8

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Tools for Office   91899-270-3796377-60435
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Tools for Office

Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Architecture Edition   91899-270-3796377-60435
    Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Architecture Edition

Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Database Edition   91899-270-3796377-60435
    Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Database Edition

Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Development Edition   91899-270-3796377-60435
    Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Development Edition

Portions of International CorrectSpell™ spelling correction system © 1993 by Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V.  All rights reserved.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 1992 Houghton Mifflin Company.  Electronic version licensed from Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V.  All rights reserved.

Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Test Edition   91899-270-3796377-60435
    Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Test Edition

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008   91899-270-3796377-60435
    Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008

CodeRush Xpress   3.2

Crystal Reports    AAJ60-G0MSA4K-68000CF
    Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008

DXCore for Visual Studio   3.2
    DXCore for Visual Studio

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU (KB944899)   KB944899
    This hotfix is for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU.
    If you later install a more recent service pack, this hotfix will be uninstalled automatically.
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944899.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU (KB945282)   KB945282
    If you later install a more recent service pack, this hotfix will be uninstalled automatically.
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945282.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU (KB946040)   KB946040
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946040.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU (KB946308)   KB946308
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946308.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU (KB946344)   KB946344
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946344.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU (KB946581)   KB946581
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946581.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU (KB946673)   KB946673
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946673.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU (KB947171)   KB947171
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947171.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU (KB947173)   KB947173
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947173.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU (KB947180)   KB947180
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947180.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU (KB947540)   KB947540
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947540.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU (KB947789)   KB947789
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947789.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU (KB948127)   KB948127
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948127.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU (KB952241)   KB952241
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952241.

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU (KB953256)   KB953256
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953256.

Refactor! for Visual Studio   3.2
    Refactor! for Visual Studio

DevExpress Tools
    DXCore extensibility layer for Visual Studio .NET, from Developer Express, Inc. (www.devexpress.com).

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 12:23 PM
  • Vista SP1 All Updates Applied
    VS2008 SP1
    Quad-Core Intel
    4gig Ram

I use "MS" System Internals "Process Monitor" for memory usage analysis.

I stated having this issue over the last few weeks, I am not sure what has changed, but I now get this error quite frequently.  It appears to be some type of of memory leak and or garbage collection can not free up the resourses for some reason, when you debug an ASP.Net application.  Every time you use full debugging it appears it adds more memory to the "devenv.exe" "Private memory" pool. 

* Note:  The following numbers are based on my personal VS2008 configuration and the specific application that I am using, so the memory numbers are going to different for different users of VS2008.  The purpose here is illustrate what I have discovered.

working set memory  * these are rounded
    ==========================
    VS2008 no open solutions  = 80   meg
    Open ASP.Net solution  = 276 meg

1st Debugging  = 350 meg
    End 1st debugging  = 303 meg

2nd Debugging  = 362 meg
    End 2nd debugging  = 322 meg

3rd Debugging  = 362 meg
    End 3rd debugging  = 315 meg

So all appears to be consistant unless I get an error in my application, which of course is what my job is to due.   When I get an error the memory can stay at any random number between 315 & 362...  I then go in fix the issue or step thur code.  Garbarge collection never gets a chance to properly close down all objects I am assuming.  As the day goes on my memory creeps upward till when it gets to around 525meg and in idle, not debugging, then the error begins to show up.  My system stills has 1.3 gig of ram.  So it is a memory issue, but not so much related to system memory.

So how do I resolved this, like most things of this nature it does not work every time, just most.

1 - I answer VS2008 question "yes" and terminate any w3wp.exe or XP's worker process's " aspnet_wp.exe".
    2 - I then go into Task Manager or Process Explorer and make sure there are no more run w3wp.exe/aspnet_wp.exe processes.  Most of the time there are.
    3 - I close my solutuion
    4 - The close/exit VS2008
    5 - Recycle the application pool.

I now reopen VS2008 and dbl chk that the memory is what it should be.

I now can work for hours or days with out issues.  It all depends on how many errors I work on. 

tom kelly
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 12:44 PM
  • Thanks Microsoft....

That really improves my productivity, I am now going to miss the freaking deadline and get fired... I hope you still get paid for your ____...

Fahad
    Friday, May 14, 2010 3:26 PM
  • Is there ever an answer to this error?  I have the same error happened in Debugging as well but it is not a asp.net or web service project.   Same error hresult 0x8007000e, error code = 0x0.
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 4:39 PM
  • This is such a strange issue, I have been working with VS ok until this huge project. Although it is not the correct solution, I just discovered that setting Firefox as default web browser from within VS 2008 skips this annoying error.

For those who are in a rush like myself and need the debugging thing (in spite of a much more slower browsing though), perhaps this would work.

If you're interested try right click the Default.aspx and select Browse With , and then go for Firefox and set as Default.

Cheers!

Friday, June 11, 2010 7:09 AM
  • This is such a strange issue, I have been working with VS ok until this huge project. Although it is not the correct solution, I just discovered that setting Firefox as default web browser from within VS 2008 skips this annoying error.

For those who are in a rush like myself and need the debugging thing (in spite of a much more slower browsing though), perhaps this would work.

If you're interested try right click the Default.aspx and select Browse With , and then go for Firefox and set as Default.

Cheers!

Too good to be true... after a while it happens the same as with MS Explorer, I guess this has nothing to do with it. It is a shame...
    Friday, June 11, 2010 7:27 AM
  • I was facing the similar issue. "A fatal error has occurred and debugging needs to be terminated. For more details, please see the Microsoft Help and Support web site. HRESULT=0x8007000e. ErrorCode=0x0."

I just did following things and wonder...debugging started working for me :)

- Closed VS 2008 application

- Removed all files from "Temporary ASP.NET Files" folder

- Open VS 2008

- Clean solution

- Build solution

Hope this will help some of you!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:45 AM
  • I have the same problem. I tried to do everything you were advised me, but I couldn't solve this bug.The Shri07's solution is non-viable because we lose a lot of time trying to do these things. Thanks!

Anything else to do?

Matias Toro
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:16 PM
  • Apparently, this has never been fixed, or ever will be. I will try a couple of the suggestions shown and hope for the best. We're moving from VS2005 to VS2010 soon, so hopefully this issue has been fixed in VS2010.

I deleted the .net temp files as suggested. It worked for 3 debug sessions, but then I got the fatal error message again. So, I closed down VS and deleted the temp files, restarted VS and all was good for a couple more debug sessions...This would be unacceptable normally, but hopefully with the new VS, I won't be running into this issue again....I hope!  *fingers crossed*

Thanks! ~Gone2TheDogs

• Edited by Gone2TheDogs Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:54 PM update
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:13 PM
  • Hi ,

I am facing the same issue.." A fatal error occurred..." I am using vs2010 and win7.  I am working on a web service code. when i try debugging the code I get this error.

I have aroun 5 GB free space,cleared temporary asp.net files and even restarted by system. nuting seems to be working..

Please help!!!

Friday, May 30, 2014 9:20 AM