none
MAC, Outlook 2011: Can it use application item_send? RRS feed

• Question

• I was asked a question on connecting to the item_sent event in Outlook 2011 for Mac.  I know nothing about the Mac version, and can't find any good information on it. 

Does anyone know if

1: the item_send exists

2: a shared add in can be created. (I'm doubting VSTO can be used)

Has anyone done, or can point me to how to create an add in for Outlook on the Macintosh. 

Thanks!

B

Friday, July 29, 2011 5:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Haines,

This is an interesting question. While Office for Mac is too much different as Office on Windows, I don't think Office for Mac support VSTO either. Shared addin to be determined. However, I will check this topic with product team, and get back to you soon.

You could also post a question on here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac 

Regards,

Forrest | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Haines Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:09 AM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 9:12 AM

All replies

• Hello,

To my knowledge, all OSes installable on Mac don't support COM and consequently, no COM add-ins for Mac versions of Office application exist.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 2),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader
    Monday, August 1, 2011 8:38 AM
  • Hi Haines,

This is an interesting question. While Office for Mac is too much different as Office on Windows, I don't think Office for Mac support VSTO either. Shared addin to be determined. However, I will check this topic with product team, and get back to you soon.

You could also post a question on here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac 

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Haines Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:09 AM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 9:12 AM
  • Hi Haines, Andrey

I get some information. Generally speaking, Office for Mac support VB, and AppleScript. Outlook is an exception, it doesn't support VB. There's no official SDK yet. The object model on Mac is roughly the same as Windows Office, so I *guess* the event ItemSend exists. Please let me know if you figure out an answer.

There will be clarification for this limitation to be published on MSDN.

Regards,

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 2:54 AM
  • I've posted a message to the mac forum.  I just wish I could find more information on developing custom solutions for the Mac Office suite.  *shrug* neither here nor there I guess.

Thanks for your help!

B

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:09 AM
  • Outlook for Mac 2011 does not support VBA, COM VSTO or any add-ins based on any of these technologies.

Programming of Outlook 2011 for Mac is done via AppleScript

http://www.developer.com/ApplescriptWord, Excel and PowerPoint 2011 are programmable via VBA and support VBA add-ins. COM and VSTO are not supported. VBA is version 6.5 32-bit, about 95% identical Mac and PC, but there are Mac-only objects and methods and PC-only objects and methods. The open source community has yet to port Active-X to the Mac, so there is no Active-X support on the Mac. 

Mac MVP

Monday, August 13, 2012 3:26 PM