Is it allowed to make a new "sign-in option" application for Windows? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,<o:p></o:p>

I was wondering if it is possible for me to create a new option to sign-in windows instead of the standard options.<o:p></o:p>

I have already made the new method, but I need to know where to start to prepare it to be available in windows store.<o:p></o:p>

Is there any restrictions? What are the terms?<o:p></o:p>

Thanks.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 5:09 PM

Answers

• My first reaction was to say that "No; it's not possible". 

The Authentication part of Windows has had a lot of time and effort (and, no doubt, money) expended on it to make it reliable and safe and trusted.  If it were possible for anyone to create their own "Authentication" method and just "drop" it onto a machine, that would be a massive potential security hole. 

Having said that, though, PINs or Picture Passwords are "new" Authentication methods that somebody must have written but, I suspect, those responsible are safely inside the Trust Domain that is Microsoft.  You might try selling them the idea ...   :-) 

Regards, Phill W.

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Friday, April 18, 2014 2:27 AM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:35 AM
  • If using a version of windows prior to Vista Google msgina, otherwise review the following article. I did a replacement once and a word of warning, be prepared for getting locked out of the computer you are testing with (and it most likely will happen no matter what solution you find if not fluent with the process).

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:53 PM

All replies

• Hi m.rizeg,

>> I was wondering if it is possible for me to create a new option to sign-in windows instead of the standard options.

Please clarify what you want in detail. I think others do not know your specific scenario here. Where do you want to sign in and where you want to show your Windows.

>>I have already made the new method, but I need to know where to start to prepare it to be available in windows store

Can you also clarify this ? What's your project type and do you actually want to create Store App?

Regards,

Barry Wang
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:05 AM
  • Alright,

There is many options to sign-in your account in windows 8.1 such as password, PIN and Picture password, I have a new method to be an extra option to sign-in, how can I publish it? Shall I make it as an application or there is another way for such a point?

My method is extremely new option to sign-in users accounts instead of the current options those shipped with Windows operating system. It just an authentication step to log in your account.

Thanks.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 1:54 PM
  • My first reaction was to say that "No; it's not possible". 

The Authentication part of Windows has had a lot of time and effort (and, no doubt, money) expended on it to make it reliable and safe and trusted.  If it were possible for anyone to create their own "Authentication" method and just "drop" it onto a machine, that would be a massive potential security hole. 

Having said that, though, PINs or Picture Passwords are "new" Authentication methods that somebody must have written but, I suspect, those responsible are safely inside the Trust Domain that is Microsoft.  You might try selling them the idea ...   :-) 

Regards, Phill W.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:35 AM
  • If using a version of windows prior to Vista Google msgina, otherwise review the following article. I did a replacement once and a word of warning, be prepared for getting locked out of the computer you are testing with (and it most likely will happen no matter what solution you find if not fluent with the process).

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:53 PM
  • I have considered your suggestion "You might try selling them the idea" but it's a very hard task, especially that I contacted Microsoft North America, Turkey and UAE, but there were no one could understand the issue neither they act a serious action to adopt my invent!!<o:p></o:p>

I figured out that I have to make it as an application and publish it in Windows store, and it might be an eye catcher :) <o:p></o:p>

Unfortunately, you all are advising me to not making it as an application since it will goes against Microsoft policies..!!!<o:p></o:p>

What a hard time..<o:p></o:p>

Friday, April 18, 2014 8:02 AM
  • Did you mean that you did try to add a new sign-in option but you didn't success due to high level of security that Windows has?

Friday, April 18, 2014 8:04 AM