razor @functions in a separate file not working - debugger can't see file RRS feed

• Question

• User1204789778 posted

When I put @Functions block in a separate vbhtml file in the App_Code directory using visual studio express for web 2013, the debugger doesn't recognize the file so can't see it. The @functions block is fine when in the same file from which I call it. I've tried building the website using the debugger but that makes no difference - still can't see it.

What am I missing? Is there some special syntax I need in the separate vbhtml file? I created a separate helpers file and that was fine but I seem to have a problem with functions. The IDE says its using Razor v2, if that's of any relevance.

Any help greatly appreciated

Jim

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 6:31 AM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

Intellisense can be a little peculiar with VB sometimes. As to the different file types, there is no difference. They are both .vbhtml files, but are generated from a different template. However, I have been able to replicate the error you reported. I suspect that's an issue with the VB compiler/VS combination.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:47 AM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

I'm not clear what you mean by "can't see file". If you place your functions or helpers file in App_Code, you have to prefix the helper or function with the name of the file - minus the extension - when you reference the function or helper in another file. So if you create a function called Print() and you put it in a file called Functions.vbhtml and then place that in App_Code, you will call it in another vbhtml file like this:

@Functions.Print()

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:19 AM
  • User1204789778 posted

Many thanks for your reply

I have the function in the file test78.vbhtnl in the App_Code directory. Calling a function in the @Functions code block elicits the following error:

Error 26 'test78' is not declared. It may be inaccessible due to its protection level.

It doesn't seem to recognize the file as far as I can see.....I have now run the file and the function is called correctly but I still get the same debug error if I build the website. Weirdly if I create a new empty vbhtml file and copy the functions into it, I get no error. The only possible diffference is that the original file that is causing the error may have originally been created as a helper file (when selecting a new file option from the menu). I just got rid of the @Helpers code and replaced it with the @Functions. Seeing these are just text files, I thought it wouldn't make any difference. Maybe visual studio keeps a record of the types created somewhere?

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:08 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

Intellisense can be a little peculiar with VB sometimes. As to the different file types, there is no difference. They are both .vbhtml files, but are generated from a different template. However, I have been able to replicate the error you reported. I suspect that's an issue with the VB compiler/VS combination.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:47 AM
  • User1204789778 posted

Good to know I not going completely mad! I guess it's good to have this error documented out there somewhere. A little less hair may get pulled out as a result. Thanks for giving it your attention

Jim

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 4:32 AM