SSIS/SSRS/SSAS Project templates missing in Visual Studio 2017 RC? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Microsoft released VS 2017 RC today. I installed the "SQL Data Tools" from Visual Studio installation package but the SSIS/SSAS/SSRS project templates are missing.

Any idea when it will be available?

Regards, Nishil Jain. Senior Microsoft BI Architect. Email:NishilJain@gmail.com

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 7:58 PM

Answers

• Hello,

SSDT is separate product with a different release cycle the VS, you can not expect it will be released together with VS. Last time with VS 2015 it took around one or two month until SSDT for 2015 was released.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by Nishil Jain Thursday, November 17, 2016 9:08 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 7:17 AM

All replies

• Hello,

SSDT is separate product with a different release cycle the VS, you can not expect it will be released together with VS. Last time with VS 2015 it took around one or two month until SSDT for 2015 was released.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by Nishil Jain Thursday, November 17, 2016 9:08 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 7:17 AM
  • Thanks Olaf,

Will wait till its released next month.

Regards, Nishil Jain. Senior Microsoft BI Architect. Email:NishilJain@gmail.com

Thursday, November 17, 2016 9:08 AM
  • Hi,

I checked that they have actually made a release already:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt204009.aspx

SSDT 17.0 RC1

Unfortunately it seems they forgot to add support for SSRS projects in it anyway (I installed it and it still didn't work)... maybe because it's still RC, is there a way we can tell the SSDT team to fix it?

David

• Edited by gbdavid2 Monday, November 21, 2016 12:24 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 12:22 PM
  • .. but SQL Server Data tools is an installation option for Visual Studio 2017 RC1.  Still, after selecting that option, Integration Services projects don't load.  I know business intelligence projects used to be a separate package, but as of Visual Studio 2015, all you needed to edit SSIS was SQL Server Data Tools. 
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 7:32 PM
  • The release notes are confusing in this regard by stating "the latest update of SQL Server Data Tools has been included in Visual Studio 2017 RC".

So this is not the case or have we gone back to the nightmare scenario of having two versions of SSDT?

Paul

• Edited by pjtaylor Thursday, December 1, 2016 1:41 PM
    Thursday, December 1, 2016 1:40 PM
  • I installed SSDT 17.0 RC1 and the SSDT project types are still missing from Visual Studio 2017 RC.
    Tuesday, December 6, 2016 7:12 PM
  • Any resolution on that?
    Saturday, March 4, 2017 4:31 PM
  • Today's one day after the official release of VS 2017. They have only completed SSDT up to RC2, I installed that version and still doesn't recognise SSRS or SSIS projects.

This is quite embarrassing and shameful... and yes, I/we don't care that this is a separate product or not, for us and everyone with common sense it should be the same product, with same release cycle... it is after all a feature that you can check to include while you are installing VS 2017...

David

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 8:46 AM
  • Couldn't agree more.

Paul

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 8:52 AM
  • Today's one day after the official release of VS 2017. They have only completed SSDT up to RC2, I installed that version and still doesn't recognise SSRS or SSIS projects.

This is quite embarrassing and shameful... and yes, I/we don't care that this is a separate product or not, for us and everyone with common sense it should be the same product, with same release cycle... it is after all a feature that you can check to include while you are installing VS 2017...

David

When I selected "SQL SERVER DATA TOOLS" in my Visual Studio 2017 install, I expect it to install. Truly a let down :-(

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 10:36 AM
  • Yes I hit the same problem. Was expecting to migrate all SSIS projects but now "dtproj" is not compatible. 
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 12:32 PM
  • I see that Data Tools RC2 is out as Marts 1st.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssdt/sql-server-data-tools-ssdt-release-candidate

But any word on final release?

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 12:56 PM
  • And this is where the confusion stems from. From what I can tell, SQL Server Data Tools 17.0 RC2 on that link is SQL Server Data Tools 14.0.61702.070. This is being used by both VS 2012 & VS 2015. However, VS 2017 appears to have SQL Server Data Tools 15.1.61702.140. So it is v15 that we need SSAS/SSIS/SSRS for.

Paul

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 1:11 PM
  • For SSRS, you can install the following to open/edit rptproj files in VS 2017 :

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ProBITools.MicrosoftReportProjectsforVisualStudio

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:59 PM
  • And SSAS also. No SSIS support in VS 2017. See:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/25001/cannot-open-integration-services-ssis-projects.html

Paul

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 4:30 PM
  • Frustrating to say the least.  I ran into the same issue.   Installed VS2017 RTM and my SSIS solutions cannot be used.  I spent 2 hours Google searching for some hope to a path for backdoor solution.  So I guess we are glad we still have VS2015 installed.  There is no support for SSIS in VS2017 RTM.

SOTATS, Inc.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 6:02 PM
  • Why are you all so impatient, it take some time to implement & test such solution.

But all comes to good end: Introducing SQL Server Data Tools for Analysis and Reporting Services for Visual Studio 2017

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, March 9, 2017 7:36 AM
    • Edited by Mario5280 Friday, March 10, 2017 4:22 PM
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 11:10 PM
  • This link actually takes you to the SSDT 15 release.
    Friday, March 10, 2017 9:39 PM
  • For anyone else wondering about the Released VS2017 which I just installed.

The Project templates are available, For SRSS I needed to add "Microsoft Report Projects for Visual Studio".

In VS2017, Tools/Extensions and Updates/   Click the Online option on the left. Then search for "reports". "Microsoft Report Projects for Visual Studio" will be in the list, Install it.  You then need to close VS for the install to begin.

Assume the other project types can be installed the same way.

I have tested create/edit and deploying reports in VS2017, appears to be identical to VS2015.

Regards,

Jason

Friday, March 24, 2017 12:21 AM
  • I followed your steps . Tools/Extensions and Updates/   Click the Online option on the left. Then search for "reports"."Microsoft Report Projects for Visual Studio" . Downloaded and Installed successfully.  No luck I do not see any reporting items to add to my project.

Any other ideas?

Monday, March 27, 2017 4:48 PM
  • Unless it actually didn't install I have no idea, sorry.

IN VS2017, when creating a new project I can create a "Report Server Project" and then from there I can add reports.

Thursday, April 6, 2017 5:24 AM
  • Friday, April 21, 2017 8:53 AM
  • I think this is misleading as it is not delivering SSIS project functionality in VS2017 which is what we are all waiting for?

Paul

Friday, April 21, 2017 9:41 AM
  • This blog refers to the same link that all other sources. Actually if you download the SSDT 17.0 package that installs VS 2015 even if VS 2017 is already installed. The project types in VS 2017 are not changing. However, at the end of the page there are two links for Riporting and Analysis project types for VS 2017. These do not seem to include the Integration Services. The ReadyRoll project seems to support that flow, however I could not find any information about this on official documents. Maybe I missed something.
    Friday, April 21, 2017 2:57 PM
  • Thursday, May 18, 2017 4:49 PM
  • Hello Olaf.  I recently installed VS2017 and of course had the same problem as others.  I have piece meal installed SSRS and SSAS extensions but cannot find the extension for SSIS.  Do you know if there is a link to a download?

Thanks, Charlie C

Monday, March 12, 2018 6:26 PM
  • Hello Olaf.  I recently installed VS2017 and of course had the same problem as others.  I have piece meal installed SSRS and SSAS extensions but cannot find the extension for SSIS.  Do you know if there is a link to a download?

Thanks, Charlie C

Thanks Charlie.

I have the same question. Where is SSIS Package via Tools>Extensions and Updates, Search for SSIS/Integration?

It should be straightforward. We shouldn't have to spend hours on this.

Thanks,

Joseph

Alcide

Monday, November 26, 2018 5:09 PM
  • I should have mentioned that I am running VS 15.9.2.

Thanks

Alcide

Monday, November 26, 2018 5:18 PM
  • Sorry I dont know the answer for SSIS however This website says "To install AS, IS, and RS project support, run the SSDT standalone installer." Then it mentions that "Before installing SSDT for Visual Studio 2017 (15.8.2), uninstall Analysis Services Projects and Reporting Services Projects" so I imagine they have fixed the project integration at some point. Hope this helps.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssdt/download-sql-server-data-tools-ssdt?view=sql-server-2017

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 3:12 AM