Displaying text on screen without D3D or XAML?

Question

• Hi,

so imagine I have a pure D3D Windows Store App, let's say my app is running on very crappy device, and D3D device failed to initialize, I want to inform user that his device doesn't meet mininum requirements, is there a way to display a text on screen ? Note: D3D hasn't initialized, so what are my options, and my app doesn't use XAML.

Thank you.

Thursday, February 07, 2013 6:59 AM

Answers

• You will need to fall back to a lower feature level of DX and use that. All Windows 8 and Windows RT will support at least DX9.1. If your app cannot initialize DX at that level then there are probably severe problems beyond your app. There is nothing reasonable you can do to display a message about this.

--Rob

Thursday, February 07, 2013 7:07 AM
    Owner

All replies

• You will need to fall back to a lower feature level of DX and use that. All Windows 8 and Windows RT will support at least DX9.1. If your app cannot initialize DX at that level then there are probably severe problems beyond your app. There is nothing reasonable you can do to display a message about this.

--Rob

Thursday, February 07, 2013 7:07 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks for quick reply !

I see... Well I guess that would work, but if I am not mistaken, there are cases where even with feature level DX9.1, D3D device fails to initialize, this is the case with some old Intel graphics chips, so I guess my final option would be to fallback to WARP device?

Thursday, February 07, 2013 7:21 AM
  • If Direct3D 11 Feature Level 9.1 won't initialize on the system, then it is not suited to running Windows 8. Certainly no machine carrying a Certified for Windows 8 logo would fail this case. You do not need to worry about a fallback case for this fallback case :)
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 8:19 PM
  • I read Chuck Walbourn answer, but answer the questions about third variation (first two XAML, DirectX ways) of text information why do not use MessageDialog?

Thursday, February 07, 2013 10:35 PM
  • You can use Direct2D+DirectWrite to render text on a Direct3D 11 FL 9.1 device, or you can make use of SpriteFont in the DirectXTK library.
    Friday, February 08, 2013 7:22 PM