none
looking for auto open/close code RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks

I want to open an excel file that appears to have no Excel functionality other than the input cells I need the user to complete. I used to be able to do this in earlier versions of excel but I'm struggling. I need an auto_open and auto_close code to manage this? Any assistance appreciated.

Gordon

Monday, August 3, 2015 4:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Gordon,

I'm not quite sure why you would need to override workbook events if all you're wanting to do is restrict the range with which a user can interact. Simply select the entire range of the worksheet (top left corner where the rows and columns meet), right click, format, protection, and lock the cells. Next, select the cells you want the user to interact with, follow the same steps as before, except uncheck the lock cells checkbox. 

Does this provide the functionality you're looking for?

Tyler

Monday, August 3, 2015 9:30 PM
  • Hi

Your answer is a reasonable solution however, from an aesthetic perspective the mini file will be sitting on an epos till used by dozens of users across a restaurant operation... it's a loyalty card management programme i've built that works with a mag stripe card system. So I need it to look proprietary rather than a homemade excel file?

Thanks G

Monday, August 3, 2015 9:34 PM
  • Hmm, it may be taxing on the system to continue to open and close the application based on your mag strip events.

If you're feeling fancy, and you have the skills to have developed the code that allows the application to work with the mag strip, you could take it a step further by developing a UserForm that appears modeless, no form buttons, sizable, etc (very customizable) by using this C API:

http://www.oaltd.co.uk/DLCount/DLCount.asp?file=FormFun.zip (MSDN won't let me post an actual link without a verified account, sorry).

Rather easy to implement, and could provide the "proprietary" feel you're looking for. Hide the main Excel window, and when the mag strip event occurs, load and show this form, then when they complete, unload and hide?

• Edited by StandishMan Monday, August 3, 2015 9:46 PM Added whitespace
    Monday, August 3, 2015 9:46 PM