none
incorrect ordering of "nearby" locations RRS feed

• Question

• I am a Girlguiding user of Bing maps and Girlguiding have a page which show units close to a given postcode.

It labels the units 1,2,3 etc to show the closest except it gets it wrong,  The pins are in the correct place but the ordering is just WRONG.  I would upload a screenshot to show the problem but this is my first question so last time I tried my question was rejected (I will try loading the image again after this post).

I contacted Girlguiding but they just said they use the Bing App and can't do anything about it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Monday, July 2, 2018 9:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Sally,

Do you have a code sample you could share?  Can you provide the steps someone else might take to see the issue?

It could be that your pushpins are getting labelled based on the order they are placed rather than by distance. Is that the case?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

PS Many years ago I was a Girl Guide in Vancouver BC Canada.  Are you asking about this page? https://register.girlguides.ca/web/en/unit-search  Are you the developer? 
    Tuesday, July 3, 2018 6:07 AM
    Owner
  • Hi I am in the UK 

I am not the developer and when I reported it to Girlguiding they said 

"I have looked into this with our technical team and unfortunately there’s nothing we can do as it is an issue with Bing Maps. We haven’t had any other reports of this and haven’t ever noticed it ourselves, so it appears only to be in your area, which I realise will be frustrating for you. The address locations are all correct on GO so we have informed Bing Maps of this issue. At this point in time we can’t do anything else but hopefully they will look into it for us."

I wanted to see if I could find out what the problem might be.

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 11:26 PM
  • I would post the image showing the pins incorrectly labelled, but I have to wait until I am verified.

I was hoping the problem is not just in my area!

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 11:29 PM
  • Hi Sally,

Unfortunately, Microsoft would need to see the problem but maybe there is another way. Can you try to get a similar result in Bing Maps?

• Open bing maps https://www.bing.com/maps/
    • Type a location like "London, UK" or in this case, your location
    • Choose a "Nearby" point of interest like Restaurants
    • Look at the "sort by" list. There are Three Options: Best Match, Price and Rating. Do these show the issue you are seeing?

Note: As you are not the developer, you will not be able to make any changes but you can report issues with the bing maps app itself.  Once the incorrect image or list is showing, choose "feedback" in the lower left of the screen and fill out all of the information someone would need to understand the failure and then submit.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 5:50 AM
    Owner