The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure App Service - Web Apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Changing settings (app settings, connection strings) for web job on the fly through Azure Portal RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Azure Portal has a great way to adjust app settings and connection strings of a web app on the fly.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service-web/web-sites-configure

My web app has two web jobs.

Each of web job projects has it's own App.config with app settings and connection strings (which are different from web app's web.config settings and strings).

I wonder, how do I change or adjust app settings and connection strings of specific web job through Azure Portal similar to how I can do for a web app.

Monday, June 5, 2017 4:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Alex,

The same mechanism is actually expected to work for WebJobs. Are you sure that it doesn't?

thanks,
    David

Monday, June 5, 2017 6:48 PM
  • Well, I can only edit application settings in Azure Portal for web app. How do I change something in portal for web job but not the web app?

Screenshot shows edit experience only for web app (these changes do not apply to web job, unfortunately).

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 3:37 AM
  • The WebJobs live under the Web App, so they all share the same settings. There is no different place to add WebJobs app settings. Just do it there and it will apply to them.

David

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 4:16 AM
  • David, 

I have an App.config in each of my web job projects and web.config in the web app itself.

These configs have different app settings values, connection strings, etc.

Say, I have one app settings key (say, "MyAppType") in all 3 projects (web app + 2 web jobs) with different values (e.g. "web1", "job1", "job2").

If I change this app setting  the Azure Portal in Application Settings to "console", this value will apply to all of my 3 projects running on azure?

I only want to make sure I understood your answers correctly.

Thank you for your help!

Friday, June 9, 2017 3:09 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Sorry, there is no way to do this within one Web App if they have conflicting settings with the same names.

Your options are:

1. Make the setting names unique across the app and WebJobs
    2. Host the WebJobs under different Web Apps (e.g. app container with no actual running site) to avoid the conflict.

David

Friday, June 9, 2017 4:02 AM
  • Hi,

I understand it is pretty old post, but I came across this recently and misunderstood initially. Thought if I write it here, it would be useful for anyone in future who end up here.

Actually there is a way to configure settings specific to each webjob, without worrying about uniqueness.

In the app service editor...you can find your webjobs under app_data folder. Each webjob lives in its own folder there, and potentially if you place your appropriate config file there it will be picked up by the job.

For example, if you have the job as an exe file then you can add/edit your exe.config there to have the specific settings you want.

This is only visible to that particular webjob, so there wouldn't be any conflicts.

Many Thanks.

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 11:55 AM