none
Surface application Not Working in Windows 8 Tablet. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

application developed with visual studio surface sdk2 in not working in Windows 8 tablet. Does the Tablet need any additional hardware or software.

My application is just a demo purpose one with few controls such a scatter view and surface buttons.

application got install but not functioning button clicks.

i tried sample application with sdk2 such as Scatter puzzle but it is not even running.

What is the actual Cause of all these mishapps. Am new to surface application development.

Thanks in advance. 

Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:42 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately, Windows 8 changed the OS to restrict how you can read HID usages (the method that the Microsoft Surface 2.0 SDK used to read touch metadata). (if you are interested in the argument a good starting point would be Introduction to HID Concepts - Windows Drivers)   
    That means that any compiled Surface 2.0 application that uses the input subsystem of the Surface SDK 2 will not work. If you are writing a WPF application and have the ability to re-compile it, the workaround is to use a standard WPF Window instead of the SurfaceWindow. That will bypass the Surface SDK input subsystem. The drawback is that you will not be able to read any PixelSense data such as tags, blob size, etc. just touch points.   

hth

-g

Gian Paolo Santopaolo - softwarelab.it - thedarksideof.net
    Disclaimer: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confer no rights.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:03 AM
  • Am Confused that This app was developed in VS2010 in windows7 PC. While Debugging it run fine With mouse. You are telling that no tablets can run sdk2 applications(Renamed as Pixelsense ). but need Samsung sur40 Like 'Tables'..? 
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:38 AM
  • Hi

the problem is that the Surface SDK 2.0 input stack is not compatible with Windows 8.
    The workaround to be able to use Surface SDK2.0 based on Windows 8 is to use a standard WPF Windows instead of a SurfaceWindow this will baypass the Surface SDK input stck and all will work fine except that PixelSense data such as tags, blob size, etc.

hth

Gian Paolo Santopaolo - softwarelab.it - thedarksideof.net
    Disclaimer: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confer no rights.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:50 AM
  • Hi,

The naming caused the Problem. Actually I was intended to Develop a Microsoft PixelSence , an interactive surface computing platform application.

I can develop such apps with SDK2 but how can i test it without pixelsence devises. Any simulator available Except that  provided with sdk2 to have an exact feel of the app.

Thanks..

Friday, March 15, 2013 7:53 AM