none
Visual Studio Community 2015 - Error when closing - 'Could not load file or assembly'

Question

• Hi,

I had Visual Studio 2015 express for web and for desktop installed on my PC. For some reason I want to try Visual Studio Community 2015, so I uninstalled the first two products from my PC and successfully installed VS Community, but every time I try to close VS Community after finished my work, I got an error that says:

"Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices, Version=2.0.0.0, ........'  or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

I had to force close the VS Community using Task Manager because of this. Can someone help??

• Edited by gcpn Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:06 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I had Visual Studio 2015 express for web and for desktop installed on my PC. For some reason I want to try Visual Studio Community 2015, so I uninstalled the first two products from my PC and successfully installed VS Community, but every time I try to close VS Community after finished my work, I got an error that says:

"Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices, Version=2.0.0.0, ........'  or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

I had to force close the VS Community using Task Manager because of this. Can someone help??

Please see if info in this thread can help - Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices, Version=2.0.0.0 - and this link from thread - Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise with Update 1 - Could not load file or assembly Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices, Version=2.0.0.0.

At link the instructions are;

Cause

Visual Studio (devenv.exe) cannot locate the Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.dll assembly, which is used by other assemblies such as Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.Framework.dll. This assembly is part of the Visual Studio Connected Services SDK.

Resolution

1. Create a Console Application
    2. Refer to the Visual Studio Connected Services SDK Nuget Package https://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices/
    3. Copy the Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.dll assembly that gets added to your packages/Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.2.0.0/lib/net45 folder to the folder where devenv.exe is located, usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE
    4. Kill devenv.exe and start Visual Studio again.

"Hello Adrian,
    What we are trying to do is get the Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.dll from the NuGet package https://www.nuget.org/packages.... To do this, create a test console application. Right Click on the project and select "Manage Nuget Packages". Then under the "Browse" tab search for "Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices" and click Install. This will add the NuGet package to the test console application. The NuGet package downloads the dll into the test console application you created. Copy the dll to the devenv.exe folder."

La vida loca

• Edited by Mr. Monkeyboy Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by gcpn Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:59 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please see if info in this thread can help - Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices, Version=2.0.0.0 - and this link from thread - Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise with Update 1 - Could not load file or assembly Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices, Version=2.0.0.0.

At link the instructions are;

Cause

Visual Studio (devenv.exe) cannot locate the Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.dll assembly, which is used by other assemblies such as Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.Framework.dll. This assembly is part of the Visual Studio Connected Services SDK.

Resolution

1. Create a Console Application
    2. Refer to the Visual Studio Connected Services SDK Nuget Package https://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices/
    3. Copy the Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.dll assembly that gets added to your packages/Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.2.0.0/lib/net45 folder to the folder where devenv.exe is located, usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE
    4. Kill devenv.exe and start Visual Studio again.

"Hello Adrian,
    What we are trying to do is get the Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.dll from the NuGet package https://www.nuget.org/packages.... To do this, create a test console application. Right Click on the project and select "Manage Nuget Packages". Then under the "Browse" tab search for "Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices" and click Install. This will add the NuGet package to the test console application. The NuGet package downloads the dll into the test console application you created. Copy the dll to the devenv.exe folder."

La vida loca

• Edited by Mr. Monkeyboy Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by gcpn Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:59 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:15 PM
  • thanks!! that solves the problem. So somehow that dll file was missing / not installed..
    • Marked as answer by gcpn Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:58 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by gcpn Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:58 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:58 PM