none
Saving password protected code modules results in loss of codes in Visio 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've got a template that's created in Visio 2010 and it's code modules is password protected in VBA editor. When the file is opened in Visio 2013, everything works fine, but when the same file is saved in .vsdm or .vsd, closed and then re-opened, all the codes are gone, and the modules are no longer password protected. If the modules are not password protected, everything works well.

Steps to duplicate the problem:

1. Create a drawing in Visio 2010, insert some macros and press F11 to open VBA editor, right click on document, select the right most tab and password protect your codes. Save and close.
    2. Open the above document in Visio 2013, test your macros, and everything works. Password protection of code modules is still there.
    3. Save the above into .vsdm and close.
    4. Re-open the above file and all codes including password protection are gone.

Questions:

• Is it just me or is this a bug?
    • If it is not a bug, then I must warn my users not to use Visio 2013, but if it is, is there a timeline to expect a fix?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, December 17, 2012 12:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Tom.Radica,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I've tried to reproduce your scenario, but my discovery is a little different.

Scenario 1:

• In Visio 2013, open a .vsd file with protected macros in it.
    • Save the .vsd file as .vsdm file directly.
    • Open the .vsdm file, you'll find the macros lost. I think this might be a feature.

Scenario 2:

• In Visio 2013, open a .vsd file with protected macros in it.
    • Open VBEditor, type password to unlock the protection.
    • Close VBEditor, then save the .vsd file as .vsdm file.
    • Open the .vsdm file, you'll find the macros and the protection are still there.

You can have a try on both scenario to see whether your Visio behaves the same.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 12:51 PM
  • Hi Quist,

Thanks for your reply. You are saying that a file with protected macros will lose all codes if resaved, so they can't be saved unless it is unprotected. Is this true? Are they specific reasons for you guys to do so? This will ensure that the millions of developers which use password protection for their codes will not be able to use Visio 2013 unless they open up their codes, is this true? Thanks.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:27 AM
  • Hi Tom,

The behavior is different on Excel, and I have reported this issue internally. You'll be informed if there's any update.

Much appreciate for your time and effort.

Best regards, 

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, December 21, 2012 4:34 AM
  • Any news?
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:49 AM
  • Hi Tom,

This behavior has been confirmed as a known issue and will be fixed.

Much appreciate for your attention into this issue.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]

Thursday, January 10, 2013 5:08 AM