none
DDE Server freezes windows RRS feed

• Question

• We have COM Addin for outlook that uses IDTExtensibility. We do have windows form applications designed in .NET framework. Recently In the below scenario, the screen freezes:

1) Outlook opened and word document opened

2 ) System is idle for a while and

3) when a tray pop up from the Winform application shows up, the screen freezes, showing "DDE Server Window" in the task bar with outlook icon.

I did google for it, but no help. Any ideas on what might be going on this scenario will help.

Windows XP Service Pack2 and Microsoft Office 2010

Monday, September 21, 2015 2:58 PM

Answers

• There are no third party add-ins. The only COM add-in that outlooks has enabled is built in-house and uses IDTExtensibility. Since it is part of core business, I couldn't ask the user to disable it for a day or two. I am not able to reproduce it and no other user reported the same issue. We moved the user to Windows 7 machine :)
    • Marked as answer by ysku Wednesday, September 30, 2015 9:18 PM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 9:18 PM

All replies

• Hello,

First of all, I'd recommend installing the latest updates for Windows and Outlook/Office.

Do you automate Word from a Windows Forms application? Are you able to reproduce the issue with a newly created empty applications without any code added?

Monday, September 21, 2015 3:06 PM
  • We do open up word documents from the Windows Forms applications and use third party tool to search word documents. We never had any issue before. This issue is reported from only one user.  Am not able to reprpduce it on test machines. I doubt this might have to do with Windows XP. We will be moving to windows 10 in November. In the mean time I am looking for a fix.
    • Edited by ysku Monday, September 21, 2015 4:23 PM
    Monday, September 21, 2015 4:22 PM
  • Again, I'd recommend installing the latest updates for Windows and Outlook/Office.

Then I'd suggest testing the add-in without any third-party tools. The issue may come from their code as well.

Monday, September 21, 2015 5:11 PM
  • Hi ysku,

Have you tried the suggestion from Eugene? If your issue has been resolved, it would be appreciated if you could share us your solution, if not, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 3:13 AM
  • There are no third party add-ins. The only COM add-in that outlooks has enabled is built in-house and uses IDTExtensibility. Since it is part of core business, I couldn't ask the user to disable it for a day or two. I am not able to reproduce it and no other user reported the same issue. We moved the user to Windows 7 machine :)
    • Marked as answer by ysku Wednesday, September 30, 2015 9:18 PM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 9:18 PM