none
General question about linq to SQL RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am just starting to look at Linq to SQL for a project that I am currently working on and one of the design issues that is being raised is that since the original designer for this project is a big believer in stored (read centralized) procedures and sees LINQ as having the same issues as having embedded SQL in the code/client and the maintainability issues associated with that style of development, how do I explain the difference?
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:36 AM

Answers

• To a degree he is right. Having linq queries in your code is basically embedding the sql into the app.

However LINQ supports procs for update, inserts and deletes very easily even if using linq queries.

If you're a big stored procedure shop LINQ TO SQL makes it very easy for you to execute those stored procs with very little code.

So if you like the ability to abstract your data access with stored procedures LINQ TO SQL supports this very nicely.

Here is a list of linq to sql articles:

http://rocksthoughts.com/blog/archive/2008/02/23/linq-to-sql-tutorials-articles-and-opinions.aspx

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:54 AM