Cannot Create New Users or Admin RRS feed

• Question

• User-1732195092 posted

Hi,

Thank you in advance... and if it helps... I'm a student in college and will be sharing the project with others so we all can practice.  So your good deeds will be multipled.  Now to the problem.

I cannot login or create users to the site.

I tried the web config button on the menu in the WD.  It opened IE with the following in the address bar:

http://localhost:2687/asp.netwebadminfiles/default.aspx?applicationPhysicalPath=C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Peter\My%20Documents\Visual%20Studio%202005\WebSites\WebSite3\&applicationUrl=/WebSite3

I believe it is the remote godaddy server.

First Screen Shot

Welcome to the Web Site Administration Tool

Application:/WebSite3
    Current User Name:I5100\PETER

Security Enables you to set up and edit users, roles, and access permissions for your site.
    Application Configuration Enables you to manage your application's configuration settings.
    Provider Configuration Enables you to specify where and how to store administration data used by your Web site.

Clicked Security

Next Screen

There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store.

The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Choose Data Store Button Lower Right Clicked

Use this page to configure how Web site management data such as membership is stored. You can use a single provider for all the management data for your site or you can specify a different provider for each feature.

Your application is currently configured to use the provider: AspNetSqlProvider

Select a single provider for all site management data
    Select a different provider for each feature (advanced)

Clicked First Link Above

Use this page to select a provider for storing site management data.

Provider
    <INPUT id=ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_content_content_content_ProviderList_ProviderListGridView_ctl02_ProviderRadioButton type=radio CHECKED value=ProviderRadioButton name=ctl00$ctl00$ctl00$content$content$content$ProviderList$ProviderListGridView$ctl02$ProviderRadioButton><LABEL for=ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_content_content_content_ProviderList_ProviderListGridView_ctl02_ProviderRadioButton>AspNetSqlProvider</LABEL> Test
    Choose Data Store Button Lower Right Clicked

Clicked Test

Provider Management
    Could not establish a connection to the database.
    If you have not yet created the SQL Server database, exit the Web Site Administration tool, use the aspnet_regsql command-line utility to create and configure the database, and then return to this tool to set the provider.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 6:42 PM

All replies

• User-2044729356 posted

You can add a user to your remote site but first you need to add a local site to your computer and put your database connection to remote.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 2:00 AM
  • User-1732195092 posted

use the aspnet_regsql command-line utility to create and configure the database...

maybe the problem...

my connection string is

<add name="Personal" connectionString="

Server=whsql-v05.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net;

Database=DB_***;

User ID=****;

Password=****;

Trusted_Connection=False" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

<remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="

Server=whsql-v05.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net;

Database=DB_****;

User ID=*****;

Password=****;

Trusted_Connection=False" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

and this seems to work... I can query the DB through godaddy's SQL Manager but cannot see any member/user/ etc.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 4:15 AM
  • User-1732195092 posted

I cannot use the aspnet_regsql.exe file found in my C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50215.

I recieve this error:

Setup failed.

Exception:
    Unable to connect to SQL Server database.

----------------------------------------
    Details of failure
    ----------------------------------------

System.Web.HttpException: Unable to connect to SQL Server database. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean& useFailoverPartner, Boolean& failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean aliasLookup)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
       at System.Web.Management.SqlServices.GetSqlConnection(String server, String user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Web.Management.SqlServices.GetSqlConnection(String server, String user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString)
       at System.Web.Management.SqlServices.SetupApplicationServices(String server, String user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString, String database, String dbFileName, SqlFeatures features, Boolean install)
       at System.Web.Management.SqlServices.Install(String database, SqlFeatures features, String connectionString)
       at System.Web.Management.ConfirmPanel.Execute()

Friday, December 23, 2005 4:43 PM
  • User-2044729356 posted

Are you still using ASP.NET V2 beta?

Have you upgraded to the final microsoft Visual web developer yet?

Friday, December 23, 2005 7:12 PM
  • User-1732195092 posted

I'll be getting the VS 2005 final release and installing it on Tuesday when I get back home.  I hope that that fixes it.

Godaddy has tries somewhat to help... but their suggests don't work.  I cannot seem to get the aspnet_regsql.exe program to connect the godaddy server and db.

Thanks again for the help.

Friday, December 23, 2005 8:50 PM
  • User-2044729356 posted

Yeah try upgrading to a final release of ASP.NET v2

but as for why you can't connect I am not sure. It should be able to connect. But wait till Tuesday and try again. You will have to uninstall the .Net2 beta though.

Saturday, December 24, 2005 12:04 AM
  • User1092033482 posted
    Godaddy databases can only be accessed from a Godaddy server. It's a security feature, but can be a pretty big pain.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2006 9:59 AM
  • User-1732195092 posted

Hello All,

Yes... I found out after several calls and misunderstandings... lol.  But yes after the code is uploaded to the Godaddy server you must use SQL statements or programming to get the site running.  The .NET config options are not available.

It is for security and it is a pain.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 6:52 PM