Getting VS to install a web site rather than only a virtual directory RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed a web application and created an associated setup and installation process to deploy the app to our client's web servers.  However, the VS setup process for web applications will only install an IIS virtual directory - I can't find a way to have it install an entirely new IIS web site.

This web application will ultimately require SSL, and therefore needs a new IIS web site to be installed rather than merely a virtual directory to an existing web site.

Is there any way to have the installation process install a new web site so that we don't have to do this manually for each client?

Friday, March 28, 2008 4:54 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Richard B. Sorensen,

As far as I know, the web setup project does not support to create a website directly. In order to create a website during installation, you need to use a custom action to create the website using ADSI (Active Directory Service Interfaces) or the System.DirectoryService. And then you should pass this website via a property to install the virtual directory. This will need you do a lot of work and you also need to use orca tool to edit the tables of the MSI package. In fact, all the websites created in the IIS is gotten by a custom action which is in an unmanaged DLL.

Hope this helps.
    Best regards.
    Rong-Chun Zhang

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 11:05 AM