none
Can I extend Fluent UI Controls? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to programatically add user controls (DevExpress, Telerik) to the Word Ribbon in Office 2010? If not, it is possible to extend the built-in controls such as, drop-down list. For example, add a custom auto-complete/lookup to the control?

Thanks,

Martin

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 5:25 AM

Answers

• Hello,

No,you cannot. The Ribbon UI doesn't allow that sort of things. Using third-party Ribbon controls usually means simplifying the creation of Ribbon XML in some way. The Ribbon XML describes the Ribbon controls (of supported types!) to use in your solution.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 2),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:15 AM

All replies

• Hello,

No,you cannot. The Ribbon UI doesn't allow that sort of things. Using third-party Ribbon controls usually means simplifying the creation of Ribbon XML in some way. The Ribbon XML describes the Ribbon controls (of supported types!) to use in your solution.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 2),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:15 AM
  • Thanks Andrei - much appreciated.

Friday, September 9, 2011 12:00 AM
  • Hi Andrei,

Thanks for your replay to may last question. I'm a newb to Ribbon development and I'd really appreciate your expert help with a few more questions...

I want to create an extensible Application Addin for Word that supports a plug-in style mechanism for loading plugins that encapsulate Ribbon groups, controls, task panes and dialogs for Word documents based on specific templates. For example, my word document is based on template A, so when I open the document the add-in loads the plugins for template A and dynamically renders the specifc Ribbon elements for it. I'm making the assumption that dynamically loading ribbon elements programatically (not using Ribbon XML) will work ...

Can you see any issues with this approach?

1) I'd like to support Auto-lookup and Auto-Complete on the Ribbon drop-down list and combo-box - is there any way to do this?

2) Is it possible to create my own custom controls based on a Ribbon custom control base class and place them on the Ribbon?

Thanks in advance! 

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:56 PM
  • Hi Martin

<<I'm making the assumption that dynamically loading ribbon elements programatically (not using Ribbon XML) will work ...>>

That will not work. It's expressly not allowed by the Ribbon UI design. The XML must be present when the Ribbon is loaded. Best you can do is to change the Visible or Enabled settings of various elements.

<<I want to create an extensible Application Addin for Word that supports a plug-in style mechanism for loading plugins that encapsulate Ribbon groups, controls, task panes and dialogs for Word documents based on specific templates.>>

You'd have to have a "manager" add-in that loads/unloads other add-ins, each defining the type of document you want to support, each having a different XML. It would be possible to load different XML when an Add-in loads, but then you'd have to be unloading/loading every time the user changes to a different document. It's going to be bad enough, saving state, if the user is working with more than one document of the same type...

Is there a reason you wouldn't use a VSTO template for each document type?

<<1) I'd like to support Auto-lookup and Auto-Complete on the Ribbon drop-down list and combo-box - is there any way to do this?>>

NO

<<2) Is it possible to create my own custom controls based on a Ribbon custom control base class and place them on the Ribbon?>>

NO

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:20 AM