none
One multiline field from SharePoint list has max of 255 chars

Question

• Hi! I have a problem that I dont understand. I have a list with several multiline text fields and one of these fields has a limit of 255 char in InfoPath.

I have SharePoint Online and using InfoPath 2013.

In SharePoint the type is exactly the same

Type is: Multiple lines of text

Number of lines of text to allow: 10

Specify the text to allow: Plain text.

All fields in the list that are of type Multiple lines looks like this, but one field says that the max char limit is 255. When I change the type of text to allow from plain text to Rich Text the maxlimit is removed, but if I then change back the limit is there again.

I cannot remove the field and add it again because it is a list that is in use. We noticed this problem after a couple of months use.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:44 AM

All replies

• Kindly check the Allow unlimit length checkbox on the list column's properties page.
    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 11:16 AM
  • Hi Magnus,

I understand it is SharePoint list customized with InfoPath forms. First of all when you change the column type from changing from Rich Text to Plain text is not a good practice since you mentioned it is used for couple of months. This may result in the loss of formatting in the multi line text field.

To test your scenario, I have created a sample list added a plain text field. Added more than 1000 characters and it does allow. Changed the type of field from Plain Text to Rich Text and this allowed more than 1000 characters. Everything works as expected.

To troubleshoot your issue:

1. Check if there are some issues in InfoPath form customization (I mean check the field and it's character limit in InfoPath form)

2. This 255 character limit is for Single Line of Text field. Can you check if this field is converted from Single Line of Text to MultiLine of Text in SharePoinyt List Settings but not updated in InfoPath forms, then for sure you'll get this issue.

Cheers,
    Maruthu
    Please click the 'Mark as Answer' if this post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful! :)
    Explore the SharePoint

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 1:04 PM
  • Hi Magnus,

Checking how are things from your end. Were you able to identify the issue in InfoPath and fix it?

Cheers,
    Maruthu
    Please click the 'Mark as Answer' if this post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful! :)
    Explore the SharePoint

Thursday, February 23, 2017 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

Checking how are things from your end?

If a post helps you, please mark it as answer since it will help other readers with the same issue. Have a nice day!

Please click the "Mark as Answer" button if this post solves your problem or "Vote As helpful if it was helpful! :)
    Explore the SharePoint

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:33 PM