none
Issue with nlssorting.dll RRS feed

• Question

• We are facing issue with nlssorting.dll. Windows service is crashing after sometime of start with below message.

Faulting application name: FreeusListenerService.exe, version: 1.0.8.7, time stamp: 0x56fbcf1a
    Faulting module name: nlssorting.dll, version: 4.0.30319.17929, time stamp: 0x4ffa5787
    Exception code: 0xc00000fd
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000012e2
    Faulting process id: 0x81a4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d18e3fe1e9220b
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\spectraforce technologies\FreeusListenerService4.0\FreeusListenerService.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\nlssorting.dll
    Report Id: 52b6b3df-fa36-11e5-88ac-bc764e05b632

I have collected this information from "Event Log Viewer". Please correct me if we are doing wrong in our codding part regarding this DLL.  But I am sure that nowhere we are using this DLL. We are creating my setup file using "Orca" tool and it was working fine from last 2-3 years. We just saw this issue from last 2 weeks only.

Is there any version issue with this DLL or any support has been stopped from Microsoft for this DLL?

Thanks in Advance.

Monday, April 4, 2016 8:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Sohan Lal,

>> "Windows service is crashing after sometime of start with below message. We just saw this issue from last 2 weeks only."

Have you updated the version of .NET Framework or OS? The National Language Support (NLS) functions help applications support the different language. There are lots of reasons which may cause the nlssorting.dll issue.

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, April 18, 2016 3:12 AM
  • Please check whether the following article is helpful or not.

You linked to an article at www.fixerrorhelps.com. That entire site seems designed to lure people into downloading "PCFixKit_Setup.exe". The site has hundreds of articles about errors in different DLL or EXE files. The articles are very similar to each other, and they always recommend you should download their "Errors Fix Tool".

I don't know what happens after the user downloads and runs "PCFixKit_Setup.exe" but I presume the owners of the site hope to get money from that somehow. There is a "BBB ACCREDITED BUSINESS — Click for Review" icon on their front page but clicking it does nothing.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 12:50 PM
  • On some versions of Windows, the .NET Framework CLR automatically loads nlssorting.dll when it needs to do culture-sensitive string operations like String.CompareTo(String).

The exception code 0xc00000fd is STATUS_STACK_OVERFLOW. You should review the stack trace in a debugger. Either get a memory dump from the crash or reproduce it with a debugger attached.

Hypothesis: You have too deep recursion in your code and the same code also does some culture-sensitive operations. The recursion has already consumed so much stack that there is not enough left for nlssorting.dll, which then crashes. Even if the culture-sensitive operations were removed, the recursion would soon overflow the stack anyway and the process would crash in some other DLL.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 2:48 PM
  • Hi ranta,

Thanks for your reminder. I will edit my reply.

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:28 AM