How to Debug ATL COM DLL using VC++ 6.0 Remotely? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed ATL COM DLL server using VC++ 6.0 IDE. I have used ASP Scripts running under IIS to invoke the methods defined in DLL. I want to setup a remote debugging to debug the COM DLL on the Target Machine.is it possible??? If possible, then please tell me how to do it???

Regards, Eshwar

Monday, February 4, 2013 6:58 AM

Answers

• I don't think that the current remote debuger still works with VC6.0. Here is an explanation on how to use the remote debugger with VC6:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1762/Remote-Debugging-in-MSVC-6-0-Step-by-step-in-the-O

Here anexplanation on how to use the remote debugger of current IDEs:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/bt727f1t.aspx

At all I would not use VC6 anymore. The support of this version has been ended long time ago. Professional Software should be made with a version that is in active support.

Best regards

Bordon

Note: Posted code pieces may not have a good programming style and may not perfect. It is also possible that they do not work in all situations. Code pieces are only indended to explain something particualar.

• Marked as answer by Elegentin Xie Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:58 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

Welcome back.

Visual C++ 6.0 is not supported now. You can try to use later version of Visual Studio. If you have any more questions about later version ones, please feel free to post it in a new thread.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Elegentin Xie
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:00 AM

All replies

• I don't think that the current remote debuger still works with VC6.0. Here is an explanation on how to use the remote debugger with VC6:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1762/Remote-Debugging-in-MSVC-6-0-Step-by-step-in-the-O

Here anexplanation on how to use the remote debugger of current IDEs:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/bt727f1t.aspx

At all I would not use VC6 anymore. The support of this version has been ended long time ago. Professional Software should be made with a version that is in active support.

Best regards

Bordon

Note: Posted code pieces may not have a good programming style and may not perfect. It is also possible that they do not work in all situations. Code pieces are only indended to explain something particualar.

• Marked as answer by Elegentin Xie Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:58 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 7:56 AM
  • Thank you for your response... But already i know that how to debug a standalone application remotely.That  is what you have given above. But i want to know how to debug a COM dll invoked by ASP script.???

Regards, Eshwar

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:55 AM
  • That should be possible the same way. I debugged a lot DLLs remotely on VM's. You can set in your project debugger setting in command not only executables. You can also name scripts or batch files or even an executable that uses this particular DLL.

Best regards

Bordon

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:28 AM
  • Please tell me procedure to debug the COM DLL.That's what i am asking. I want to know the project debugging setting to debug the dll.

Regards, Eshwar

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:01 AM
  • Hi,

Welcome back.

Visual C++ 6.0 is not supported now. You can try to use later version of Visual Studio. If you have any more questions about later version ones, please feel free to post it in a new thread.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Elegentin Xie
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:00 AM