Is it better choice to select VB.net? RRS feed

• Question

• User-801118483 posted

Actually I am Asp.net Developer with C#, But recently I got job in a MNC company and I am assigned to a project, But I came to know that project was developed with VB.Net with .net 2.0 framework version. I am really confused about my career because VB.net is not in demand? is there any need to bother about this? is it ok for my career? Please help me anyone I am really in Confusion..!!

Monday, June 29, 2015 11:27 AM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

I am really confused about my career because VB.net is not in demand?

Correct.

Generally, Visual Basic is not going to be nearly as prevalent as C# and it's becoming more and more uncommon to see projects using it. The project that you mention, a Visual Basic project targeting .NET 2.0 would certainly qualify as legacy in my mind, so the odds that you are working on it probably involve you bringing it up to date. You might consider consulting with your management to determine if it would be feasible to convert it to C#, as that might be easier moving forward.

is there any need to bother about this? is it ok for my career?

Well, you probably don't want to create too much of a bother about it. After all, you are a software developer so this isn't exactly out of the realm of something that could happen (we all have to maintain older applications at one point or another) and if you refuse to work on it, that could certainly affect your career.

I'd try to sit down with your superior or manager and pose the question if you think it would be worth converting the project to C# (for easier maintenence down the road), but unless the project is quite small or you have quite a bit of free time, it's going to be their decision regarding moving forward.

Summary : Yes, Visual Basic is an older language and you don't see it much anymore, but it likely won't be that bad too work on. You might consider asking your manager if it would be possible to convert it to C# (and possibly a newer version of .NET). Keep in mind, this is your job and you don't want to cause too big of a fuss for having to work on an older Visual Basic project. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, June 29, 2015 12:12 PM