Staging in azure RRS feed

• Question

• User-2097295820 posted

Hello all,

I have built a great platform, Now I want to go live as a matter of fact I am currently in my beta golive.

But I dont know what staging is. I stubbled on this on a tech blog. So I felt I should come and ask the gurus so some thing would not go wrong when I have traffic on my website and need to do live update.

I am also having problems with SQL server back ups. I read about backing up to blob containers but It just not working for me.

My web app is hosted as an azure website.

Thanks alot.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 11:46 AM

All replies

• User-1838255255 posted

Hi skliz4rel,

skliz4rel

But I dont know what staging is. I stubbled on this on a tech blog.

Do you mean you want to know the staging environments in Azure App Service?

The staging environments in Azure App Service means there are some stages in your web application service.

You can deploy to a separate deployment slot instead of the default production slot when running in the Standard or Premium App Service plan mode. 

Deployment slots are actually live apps with their own hostnames. App content and configurations elements can be swapped between two deployment slots, including the production slot. Deploying your application to a deployment slot has the following benefits:

• You can validate app changes in a staging deployment slot before swapping it with the production slot.
    • Deploying an app to a slot first and swapping it into production ensures that all instances of the slot are warmed up before being swapped into production. This eliminates downtime when you deploy your app. The traffic redirection is seamless, and no requests are dropped as a result of swap operations. This entire workflow can be automated by configuring Auto Swap when pre-swap validation is not needed.
    • After a swap, the slot with previously staged app now has the previous production app. If the changes swapped into the production slot are not as you expected, you can perform the same swap immediately to get your "last known good site" back

More details, you could refer to below link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service-web/web-sites-staged-publishing

skliz4rel

I am also having problems with SQL server back ups. I read about backing up to blob containers but It just not working for me.

Could you please post more details information about problems with SQL server back ups?

Could you please post some error message and how you enable the SQL server back ups?

Best Regards,

Eric

Sunday, April 30, 2017 1:41 PM