The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Active Directory!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
Unable to Add Domain to Office 365 / Azure Tenant RRS feed

• Question

• It appears, at some time in the past, our domain was associated with a Microsoft tenant that is not associate with our company, National Power, LLC. We are attempting to add it to our existing tenant (natpower.onmicrosoft.com) and are unable to do so. We own the domain, have added the requested records to DNS (both TXT and MX), but are unable to get any further with this. We've attempted via Powershell and via the website. I attempted to upload the screenshots, but I received an error message "Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account."

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:47 PM

All replies

• Power shell error message: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Confirm-MsolDomain -DomainName nationalpowerllc.com -ForceTakeover Force
    Confirm-MsolDomain : Unable to verify this domain because it is used elsewhere in Office 365. Remove the verified
    domain from the other service before adding it here.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Confirm-MsolDomain -DomainName nationalpowerllc.com -ForceTakeover Fo ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (:) [Confirm-MsolDomain], MicrosoftOnlineException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Online.Administration.Automation.DomainNameConflictException,Microsoft.Online.
       Administration.Automation.ConfirmDomain
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:50 PM
  • Website error message: This domain has been previously configured on GrahamCountyLand.onmicrosoft.com using an existing Azure AD or Office 365. To verify this domain name, you will first need to remove the domain name from the existing directory. 
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:51 PM
  • Hi,

This is the expected behavior. You should first sign in to the tenant where your domain was registered and remove it from there. Post that you will be able to verify this in your organization's tenant without any problems.

All the tenants in Azure AD will have ".onmicosoft.com"  at the end. Also, I checked the tenant where your domain is registered and it looks like an active tenant. 

If your two organizations are not linked, you should check with your domain provider to understnd how the other organization was able to verify it without proper validation.

Please take a moment to "Mark as Answer" and/or "Vote as Helpful" wherever applicable. Thanks!

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:08 AM
  • I do not have access to whatever tenant (GrahamCountyLand.onmicrosoft.com) that is. I have no idea who that is. It is not associated with our domain or our existing tenant. How do I associate our domain with our tenant is what I am asking. We own the domain (nationalpowerllc.com) and the National Power, LLC is our legal business name. I can add any DNS records needed and provide any documentation needed. If you could help, it would greatly be appreciated. 

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:36 PM
  • Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:38 PM
  • Hi, 

I understand. There is a standard process for resolving domain conflicts like this. Please drop an email to azcommunity@microsoft.com and I will get in touch with you to help you resolve this.

Please take a moment to "Mark as Answer" and/or "Vote as Helpful" wherever applicable. Thanks!

Thursday, October 17, 2019 3:13 PM