none
Converting VSTO add-in to support 2013 click-to-run RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We've got a legacy VSTO add-in for PowerPoint that is running on msi versions of Office 2013 (as well as 2007 and 2010).  However, it does not work on click-to-run versions.  I'm reasonably sure that it's because of the areas of the registry and file system that we access in the add-in.  I've been searching for weeks for some kind of documentation on this, but have found nothing.  Can someone please provide a reference to exactly what areas of the registry and local file system the click-to-run version of Office 2013 has access to and what areas must be avoided?

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 6:09 PM

All replies

• Hello,

First of all, please take a look at the Office 2010 Click-to-Run compatibility with add-ins and An overview of Microsoft Office Click-to-Run for Office 2010 articles. I'd like to mention that Office 2013 Click-To-Run supports add-ins.

Also you may find the How to: Determine Whether Outlook Is a Click-to-Run Application on a Computer and Overview of Click-to-Run articles in MSDN helpful.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 6:49 PM
  • Thanks, but I've seen these links before, and they don't give me any information about what Office 2013 click-to-run has access to in the registry and file system.
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 7:13 PM
  • > about what Office 2013 click-to-run has access to in the registry and file system.

You may treat it as a regular installation. As stated in the articles mentioned above:

Click-to-Run is a new way to *deliver* and *update* Microsoft Office.

It doesn't introduce any other limitations.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 8:00 PM
  • That's not true.  The add-in runs in msi installs of Office 2013, but does not run in CTR installs of Office 2013 on the same machine with admin privileges.  So something is obviously different.  For instance, I can tell you for sure that the CTR version doesn't allow me to access HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software hive through the VSTO add-in code (which I realize is not good form, but it's a legacy add-in).  So since that restriction exists, I suspect there are other restrictions.
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 8:18 PM
  • Hi cbooth,

>> For instance, I can tell you for sure that the CTR version doesn't allow me to access HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software hive through the VSTO add-in code (which I realize is not good form, but it's a legacy add-in)

Yes, my test result turns out the same.

>> So since that restriction exists, I suspect there are other restrictions.

As far as I know, Click-to-Run installed Office is in its own virtualized application space, I’m not sure whether there some permission limitations, and I’m afraid I’m not able to find a document to describe it currently. I will try to involve some senior engineers to look into this issue. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, August 21, 2014 5:33 AM
  • What is your code that fails when running under C2R? I don't think I ever had to tweak any of my adddins for C2R.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Sunday, August 24, 2014 4:02 PM
  • The HKLM hive requires admin privileges for writing. Did you try to run the host application with admin privileges? Does it help?
    Sunday, August 24, 2014 8:27 PM
  • Hi,

I tried to reproduce the issue at my end following the steps below

> I created a VSTO add-in for PowerPoint

> Created an Install Shield based Installer as explained here :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc442767.aspx

> I made sure it works with Office 2013 installed using MSI

> Checked the same Click to Run version of Office for "All Users"

Actual : I could install the VSTO add-in successfully and could find entries written to HKLM

I could not reproduce the issue.

This could be a scenario which we might need to do deep down analysis. Because of its complexity your question falls into the paid support category which requires a more in-depth level of support.  If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Sangeeth,MSFT

Monday, September 8, 2014 2:04 PM