none
Getting at the polyline in V8 RRS feed

• Question

• Another question about V8 I am afraid.  Is there currently anyway to get at the polyline coordinates that form the route?  One ought to be able to do

route -> routeLegs -> subLegs -> routePath -> decodedLatitudes/decodedLongitudes

but looks like the routePath property is not being returned currently in V8.

Many thanks.

By the way sorry about the extra blank lines in this posting - this editor is truly weird.  Deleting characters seems to create new blank lines sometimes, which are then not deletable!

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 2:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• The route path in V8 hasn't yet been exposed through the directions module. The initial focus of the V8 directions module is to provide the new UI pieces which not only include nice looking directions but also an optional input panel which wasn't available before. Once this is complete the API for directly accessing the raw data will be defined and will be different from V7 as it was way too much work to get access to the raw route path coordinates.

For the editor issues, which browser are you using? There are some known issues with IE.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 3:50 PM
  • Ah Ok.  That's a bit of a pain.  Don't suppose there is an ETA for that (or any naughty back door ways in:-)?

W7/IE11

Many thanks as ever for being so quick to respond and so helpful (even if I don't always get the answers I'd like)

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 4:21 PM
  • We don't have an ETA yet, but it should be available by the time V8 comes out of preview in June or not long after that. There is an easy solution to get around this which is to use the Bing Maps REST services to get the route data. We have a V7 document on how to do this here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg427601.aspx

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 5:15 PM
  • Brilliant thanks - sorry if I am sounding dense about v7 stuff - I am actually updating a v6.3 app and felt I might as well go straight to 8 but there is a bit of a shift form 6.3 to either 7 or 8:-)

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 5:28 PM
  • Didn't get that impression. There are  lot of different API's for Bing Maps and there is also a lot of developers who are new to the platform as well. Happy to help anyone who wants to work with Bing Maps.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 7:23 PM
  • I presume that given the same start, finish and waypoints the API and REST services would return the same route - presumably they call the same back end in effect?
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 9:00 AM
  • The directions module simply wraps the REST services. So the responses should be the same.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 5:58 PM
  • Brilliant!
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 9:05 PM