Open Project located on remote Development IIS server with Visual Studio 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• User-1842880510 posted

I am trying to open an IIS project located on a remote development server with Visual Studio 2012.  With prior versions of Visual Studio when you wanted to open a project you would indicate whether you were looking in the file system or on a an IIS server in getting the browsing window to select the project to open.  While you didn't have a choice of IIS Express to use on your local machine this made it easy for several people to work on the same project. 

From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/h17hytcs(v=vs.90).aspx

Creating or Opening Remote IIS Web Sites

If you have a set of ASP.NET Web site files in a folder already, you can open a Web site
    and specify the folder as the location. Visual Web Developer allows you
    to work with the folder as if you had created the Web site in Visual Web Developer.

In Visual Studio 2012 when I click open project I get a Windows Explorer window of the local file system; nothing to indicate whether you wanted to open an IIS project nothing to indicate whether you wanted to use localhost or a different server.  It should be fairly straightfoward.  However everything I've found on the web has to do with folks who are already connected to their project on the remote server enabling debugging.  These would be beneficial once I connect to the project but I can't get that far.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 3:08 PM

Answers

• User1104055534 posted

Hi,

In Visual Studio 2012, you can open a web site via File>Open>Web Site. Then you can choose to open a web site project from File System, Local IIS, FTP Site or Select a Team Foundation Server.

You can set up the Remote Tools, if you want to run, debug, and test an application that is running on one device from another computer that is running Visual Studio.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/bt727f1t(v=vs.110).aspx

I hope this will help.

Best Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, May 25, 2014 11:00 PM

All replies

• User-1426144113 posted

Hi,

Could you descript it briefly?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 3:23 AM
  • User-1842880510 posted

As state above I click open project and all I am presented with is the Windows Explorer dialog for choosing a file from the file system.  In the old days you could select whether you were opening a project located on an IIS server or on the file system.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:49 AM
  • User1104055534 posted

Hi,

In Visual Studio 2012, you can open a web site via File>Open>Web Site. Then you can choose to open a web site project from File System, Local IIS, FTP Site or Select a Team Foundation Server.

You can set up the Remote Tools, if you want to run, debug, and test an application that is running on one device from another computer that is running Visual Studio.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/bt727f1t(v=vs.110).aspx

I hope this will help.

Best Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, May 25, 2014 11:00 PM
  • User-1842880510 posted

Concerning Remote Tools; very interesting but since I can  intall remote tools on the server it doesn't help.  No one here uses web sites.  We all use Web apps because of the issues in publishing website to correct something as simple as a misspelling in the code behind. So the ability MS left to open web sites on remote IIS servers is useless.

Some one on Experts Exchange reported this as well so it is interesting to get comfirmation that this is another case where a supposed advance by MS has resulted in reduced capabilities.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:59 AM