2010 Project Server, PWA content migration from production to test environment RRS feed

• Question

• Post implementing the Project Server 2010 PWA on production we are trying to replicate the similar environment on our test server with same configuration as of the production (Note: Both are on 2010 platforms). The Problem is once I moved WSS_Content_PWA_Production db to WSS_Content_PWA_Test db, PWA site fails to open in client browser with the fallowing error,

This error (HTTP 403 Forbidden) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the webpage.

Did I do something wrong while migrating PWA content data over to test environment ?  Also if I create new web application with site collection and provision PWA site it works fine without any issues. Anybody who has done Project Server content migration within 2010 environment ?

Thanks! Raj
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:42 PM

Answers

• Please double check the steps below:

1. Create new web application with new content database 2. Remove that new content database 3. restore your production content database at your test server 4. Attach that content database with that new web application

1. Restore 4 project databases from Production to test server 2. Provision PWA on the same name 3. Ensure PWA provisioned successfully.

In 2010, 5 datbases movement is always recommended.

I think you moved the content database after PWA provisioned at the test server.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Monday, January 3, 2011 3:41 AM

All replies

• Could you describe the process you used in more detail?
    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:34 PM
  • Please double check the steps below:

1. Create new web application with new content database 2. Remove that new content database 3. restore your production content database at your test server 4. Attach that content database with that new web application

1. Restore 4 project databases from Production to test server 2. Provision PWA on the same name 3. Ensure PWA provisioned successfully.

In 2010, 5 datbases movement is always recommended.

I think you moved the content database after PWA provisioned at the test server.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Monday, January 3, 2011 3:41 AM
  • Sorry guys for a late reply!!  Thanks Sriram for providing a quick info,

Above mentioned steps works perfectly fine if you creating a new instance. But the issue was first existing PWA instance which was deleted and then reused PWA instance to re-create & provision. Only than it fails. Else it worked perfectly fine without any issues. Also I could see some of the PWA configuration line items still exists over configuration db despite site is been taken completely off or deleted.

This has restricted us from using default PWA instance to provision on one of the farm. Also looks like this is an adhoc issue as we didn't face the same on prod farm. Looks like Project Server was config wrongly.

Thanks! Raj
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:11 PM