3DSP wireless 802.11 B+G USB adapter+Blue tooth PAN network adapter do not work with Windows 8 developer

Question

• Hi,

Hope that all is good. I bought a china tablet and installed 32-bit developer preview, Everything working fine, But my wifi network is gone...I am not able to access internet.

I tried, "Run compatibility with previous version of windows"....installed a new driver...But none helped...:(

This was working fine with windows 7 ultimate. Could you anyone suggest me a solution?

Thanks

By

Chandra

Saturday, October 01, 2011 6:23 AM

Answers

• Hey Florin,

For getting your Metro style applications to work, check to make sure that your desktop resolution is at least 1024 x 768. Also if User Account Control has been disabled, you will need to enable User Account Control to use Metro style applications. 

For automatic connection using your USB Wi-Fi device you may want to check the device manufacturer's website to see if a tool is available for the device. If so, try downloading/installing the tool and configure the device to automatically connect.

Steven
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 12:53 AM
  • Hi Florin,

Try this,

Pull the start menu, Click Search -> Type 'Run"

Once you open the run box type -> regedit.

This will open the registry box. under the edit menu, click "Find" and type "display1_downscalingsupported".

Once it is opened, change its value to "1" and restart your system. Now you will get 2additional display settings. Here you can set to 1024x768. Metro will start work. I did it. No harm...Enjoy Metro apps. :) Good luck

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 6:13 AM
  • Hey Florin,

Metro style Internet Explorer provides a plug-in free experience. HTML5 capabilities can be viewed using the Metro style Internet Explorer as well as the desktop Internet Explorer. For plug-ins you will need to use the desktop Internet Explorer.

For more information please see the information provided in the link below:
    Building Windows 8 - Metro style browsing and plug-in free HTML5

Steven
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 10:37 PM

All replies

• Hey Chandra,

Try checking to see if your tablet has an updated firmware available from their website. You should also find instruction on how to update your BIOS in literature available on your computer manufacturer's website and/or in your computer's user manual.

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS/UEFI settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Monday, October 03, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Hi Chandra,

Any progress on this one? I ran into exactly the same issue. It finds the driver from Windows 7 (I make the driver update search Windows.old and it finds it, but I get "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I wonder if we need to change some settings in BIOS? But just like you said it was working fine in Windows 7.

Please post if you find any solutions to this problem...

Thanks, Florin

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:49 AM
  • The Add Hardware Wizard finds 2 WiFi USB Controllers first. Then I do an update driver and let it search Windows.old, so it finds 3DSP Wireless 802.11 B+G USB Adapter and 3DSP Bluetooth Bus, but both of them can't start (Code 10).

I remember under Windows 7 there was a small app running in the notification area, which had a short menu with an option checked, something like run in parallel or shared or something along these lines. But I can't start that app anymore. I installed it and got the green ugly icon on the desktop, but when I launch it I get "Please copy the correct USBWBCONFIG.INI to %windir% folder. I did copy the original file (from Windows 7) to the new %windir% and to system32/drivers (because that's where it used to be before), but the app still doesn't work... So right now, I don't know what else to do...

I ordered a small USB WiFi adapter from Amazon for now and see if I can get a network connection like that. I won't mind if it runs like that, I got the smallest adapter I could find, it doesn't stick out too much...

Maybe once I get it on the network, it can find something on Windows Update...

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:58 AM
  • Hi Florin,

Hope that you are good today, After I spent so much time on this, I finally gave up. Below are the things that I find then, it might be useful to you.

1. This USB+Wifi made by a Chinese manufacturer and they have got approval from Microsoft for windows xp ONLY.

Latest drivers can be found here,

http://www.stk.com.tw/product-01.asp?Product_Type=58

2. As you wrote, I had the same issue of the "Please copy the correct USBWBCONFIG.INI to %windir% folder." So I download a .inf file from the website and copied in to the %windir% folder. But didn't help though.:(

From the link, you could see the user manual, they have given trouble shooting guide...looks like you are expert than me..:) You could get some ideas.

3. As Steven suggested, I do not know how to update BIOS and CMOS...also no instruction on the user manual...so it was my end.

Here is how did I overcome,

I use the tablet while traveling only. So I bought a D-link 3.5G Modem (DWM-152-A3) and installed the driver as "Windows 7, run as administrator" in the compatibility mode settings. Now I am able to use internet without any problem. (Modem detail is below)

http://www.dlink.com.my/products/?idproduct=473&idCategory=199

Hope this will be helpful to you. Good luck.

By

Chandra

P.S: I have ordered another wifi USB dongle through e-bay  to try wifi as well..:) Arrives only next week. Will post it later.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Wow, thanks for the link. I actually managed to make a little progress, in the sense that I got the drivers installed and the Device Manager is showing all devices OK, no more yellow warning icons. Windows is showing the WiFi icon on the taskbar, but it has a red X on it and it cannot discover my WiFi network at home and the troubleshooting wizard can't find anything. So I am stuck at this step right now. It is at least a progress from my previous trials, since the drivers that came with the setup CD could not be installed or the WiFi device could not be started. At least now Windows does not report an error anymore, even though it doesn't work... And I still can't launch that 3DSP program, it keeps complaining about that file in %windir% although it is there, I copied it from the old installation...

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:59 AM
  • My tablet also has the same issues.  Even though i got all the drivers installed, its still detecting that the device are not working properly.  Not quite sure if the drivers for win7 is compatible with win8.

I have my tablet on dual boot.  The wifi works on windows 7 but cannot be detected on windows 8.

Could it be the win8 version i downloaded does not support wifi yet?

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:36 AM
  • Hi niutoniumx,

The fact is, 3DSP will not work on Windows 8. the reason,  the installation file (.exe rar) does not contain the required .inf file to make registry changes. It will install, but it will not work.

It is better to get a D-link wifi USB device and make it happen. Good luck.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:22 PM
  • Time to give a status report:

I bought a cheap USB WiFi device and I now have network connectivity, so I could activate my Windows 8 and start trying it out. I'm a little bummed though, none of the tiles on the start screen seem to work. You can shuffle them around, but I click them and nothing happens, no applications start. There are just a few that work: Control Panel, Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer and a few apps that I installed.

Also, even though "Connect automatically" is checked, I need to re-connect and re-enter my WiFi password every time the tablet starts...

Any ideas?

Florin

Monday, November 07, 2011 4:48 AM
  • Hey Florin,

For getting your Metro style applications to work, check to make sure that your desktop resolution is at least 1024 x 768. Also if User Account Control has been disabled, you will need to enable User Account Control to use Metro style applications. 

For automatic connection using your USB Wi-Fi device you may want to check the device manufacturer's website to see if a tool is available for the device. If so, try downloading/installing the tool and configure the device to automatically connect.

Steven
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 12:53 AM
  • Thanks for your replies Steven! It looks like I'm out of luck, my tablet has a maximum resolution of 1024 x 600...

But the other trick worked, I had to set up the WiFi profile as default in the AirLink tool for it to remember it after a restart. I had the tablet with me in a hotel for a few days and the tool was set up to try to connect to that WiFi network by default.

Is there nothing else I can do to make the Metro apps work on this thing? Some secret registry key? Some "use at your own risk" patch? Anything? :-)

Florin

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 4:28 AM
  • The touch interface is sooo addictive. Everything is so natural, so much easier than moving the mouse. Scrolling, moving things around...

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 4:32 AM
  • Hi Florin,

Try this,

Pull the start menu, Click Search -> Type 'Run"

Once you open the run box type -> regedit.

This will open the registry box. under the edit menu, click "Find" and type "display1_downscalingsupported".

Once it is opened, change its value to "1" and restart your system. Now you will get 2additional display settings. Here you can set to 1024x768. Metro will start work. I did it. No harm...Enjoy Metro apps. :) Good luck

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 6:13 AM
  • Awesome trick!!! Yaaay, now I have my very own Windows 8 tablet :-) Can't wait for the real thing though!

Any ideas how to get youtube to work? I installed the Adobe Flash player and the IE from the Desktop mode works fine, but the Metro one doesn't. Aren't they supposed to be the same version (IE 10)? Why would youtube work in one, but not in the other?

Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:01 AM
  • Hey Florin,

Metro style Internet Explorer provides a plug-in free experience. HTML5 capabilities can be viewed using the Metro style Internet Explorer as well as the desktop Internet Explorer. For plug-ins you will need to use the desktop Internet Explorer.

For more information please see the information provided in the link below:
    Building Windows 8 - Metro style browsing and plug-in free HTML5

Steven
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 10:37 PM