vsto installer setup RRS feed

• Question

• I am preparing installer setup for addin. I need to get data from user during install and store the values in registry. I am able to add dialog that has textboxes. The dialog is also displayed during installation. But I am not sure how to get those values entered by user programmatically or from the setup project.

I will be thankful if anyone provide me some guidence on how to proceed.

Friday, January 22, 2010 8:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Vema,

Firsly, it's WPF forum but your issue is related installation for VSTO add-in. You should have posted in the ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum for better help.

Anyway, as for this particular issue, it's not recommended to collect data and configure the application to be installed during the installation. What if the user wants to change the application's configuration after installation? And this would add complexity of the installation package.

So the recommended way is to collect information and configure the application when this application is run for the first time and provide a functionality in the application for the user to change the configuration later.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    Linda Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Linda Liu Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:27 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 4:41 AM