Reseller DNS going to wrong server.. RRS feed

• Question

• So, sorry if I've missed something, but I can't seem to find the answer to this one on the forums or when I poke around in WP.

When I create a domain under a standard user it creates the primary and secondary DNS zones on the appropriate servers.  DNS1 is primary and DNS 2 is secondary.

The issue here is that when I create a domain for a reseller it only creates a primary zone on DNS2 (I don't have a seondary server specified in the config of that one).  I would like all of the primary and secondary zones to go to their respective servers, anyone have any thoughts? :)

Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:44 AM

Answers

• Ah,

Please make sure that once plans are set alot of configuration values are "saved" in mssql.. So alot of things can not change after creation (not without editing the database of WSP ;-))

So maybe thats the reason.. (i would also double check if the DNS Servers in the virtual Server is not set to loadbalanced/Randomized.. as that means this time was mostly "luck" then anything else --> If it's set that way there's one simple way to force WSP to always use NS1 --> Just don't add NS2 DNS to the virtual server ;-))

Anyways.. i hope it's all good (option one: just needed to assign a new hosting plan) :-)

Key4ce - IT professionals: www.key4ce.eu

• Marked as answer by Lloyd Zhang Thursday, June 7, 2012 6:35 AM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 12:22 AM

All replies

• Hello, 

You can prety much set that in the Virtual Server configuration.

i'm not sure how you mean "(I don't have a secondary server specified in the config of that one)." ?

In the end you configure both DNS Servers in the Virtual server configuration.. you can also select who you want to have primary.

(and ofcourse in the DNS Configuration of Each server you can configure primary and secondary DNS Server.. where at the Second DNS Server you do not configure any secondary DNS just the Primary info + NS Servers)

After thats all done you update your Reseller hosting plan make sure it uses the Virtual server.

Once all the above is set correctly your Primary and Secondary DNS will be handling everything correctly where all domains see the same thing :)

(it will however not change Existing domains up on normal, for that you will have to change the DNS Records in DNS Management @ windows to adjust.. WSP will automatically pick those changes up)

Regards,

Marco

Thursday, May 31, 2012 5:42 AM
  • Sorry for not being very clear with my inital post, this is what i meant:

Currently I have 2 DNS servers defined in my server configuration, Primary DNS, DNS1 and Secondary DNS, DNS2.  DNS1 has the IP of DNS 2 set as it's secondary server so it will create the secondary zones there. 

In the Virtual Servers configuration I only have DNS1 specified in there.

I have created a plan, Plan 1.

When I assign Plan 1 to a normal user the domain is created with the Primary zone on DNS1 and the secondary zone on DNS2. 

When I assgin Plan 1 to a reseller the domain is created but the Primary zone is being placed on DNS2 and there is no secondary zone being created.

However, I have just assigned Plan1 to a reseller this morning and the zones are being created correctly on both servers, with no configuration change.  Well now, this is a little odd.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:04 PM
  • Ah,

Please make sure that once plans are set alot of configuration values are "saved" in mssql.. So alot of things can not change after creation (not without editing the database of WSP ;-))

So maybe thats the reason.. (i would also double check if the DNS Servers in the virtual Server is not set to loadbalanced/Randomized.. as that means this time was mostly "luck" then anything else --> If it's set that way there's one simple way to force WSP to always use NS1 --> Just don't add NS2 DNS to the virtual server ;-))

Anyways.. i hope it's all good (option one: just needed to assign a new hosting plan) :-)

• Marked as answer by Lloyd Zhang Thursday, June 7, 2012 6:35 AM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 12:22 AM