none
No Kinect for Windows in Australia??? RRS feed

• Question

• Been trying to find out for the last 2 weeks where in Australia I will be able to get the Kinect for Windows... no one not even Microsoft are able to tell me. All they can tell me is who their suppliers in Australia are and after the release date of yesterday I called all of them and they have no idea about the product and Microsoft told me the main supplier in Australia for the Kinect for Windows was Synnex and I called them and they say it will be released in the 2nd half of this year...

I see someone from the UK is also asking this same question... Worldwide release doesn't mean the Americas only. Its not like baseball where the world series is just America is it? lol

Thursday, February 2, 2012 5:05 AM

Answers

• Let me know if he replies. :)

Clever, witty forum signature.

Kinect for Windows has finally been released in Australia today! Only took me over a week of looking into and constant follow up with Microsoft but you can finally get your copy in the land of OZ from the following link. I believe more online retailers will follow soon. http://www.estore.com.au/Microsoft_Kinect_for_Windows_MST0004.aspx

Also I just heard the supplier Synnex is aware that they have the product now so they are more open to selling it now :-)

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:36 AM

All replies

• Oh dear...

I'm in the same situation as you, by the way. Knowing the way that things like this are handled here in Australia, I would suggest ordering it from the US somehow, and using a plug converter. It'll get here faster than a supplier can manage, *and* cheaper.

Are amazon & microsoft the only places you can order it right now? I bet they do not ship to australia...

Thursday, February 2, 2012 5:56 AM
  • I tried to pre-order from Amazon but they said due to Microsoft restrictions they can't ship to Australia.

I am tempted to ask a friend in the States to ship one over for me but the Australian Microsoft Channel Development Manager told me the day before the release that they have them in a warehouse in Sydney... maybe they are trying to remember where they left them...

Thursday, February 2, 2012 6:38 AM
  • I've sent a message to MSFT australia, hopefully they will give us some more information as it becomes available...

Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:13 AM
  • We got ours several months ago. Just a Kinect sensor bought from EB Games. Came with the additional cabling to hook it up to the PC and power. I just checked the box; it is a plain Kinect 360 sensor, nothing special mentioned really. EB Games Product code 1490630. Model 1414, barcode 885370226102. Not sure if all that helps or if things have changed since we got ours. It's worth checking it out at EB I'd say

Thursday, February 2, 2012 9:51 PM
  • Yeah, we've got a few of those; I'm specifically looking for the new kinect for windows sensor - because commercial work is going to become a bit sticky with the 360 sensor soon.
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 11:05 PM
  • We got ours several months ago. Just a Kinect sensor bought from EB Games. Came with the additional cabling to hook it up to the PC and power. I just checked the box; it is a plain Kinect 360 sensor, nothing special mentioned really. EB Games Product code 1490630. Model 1414, barcode 885370226102. Not sure if all that helps or if things have changed since we got ours. It's worth checking it out at EB I'd say

That should be incorrect...  You can plug in the old Kinect sensor into a PC.  There's a 2nd generation Kinect that just came out Feb 1st.  This new model is not compatible (aka not supported) on the Xbox 360.
    Friday, February 3, 2012 2:31 AM
  • @Marco and @pauldejong

You are both kind of correct. The Xbox360 kinect can be connected to the PC and a SDK has been in use for some time to do this. However the new "Kinect for Windows" has been designed for windows users in mind (As far as I know the kinect for windows can't be used on xbox hence the name I guess). This is also Microsofts justification for charging more for it. The main difference is that the new Kinect for Windows has been designed for close up use as well as the traditional distance you give in your living room when playing the xbox. Most windows users are going to put their kinect ontop or below their monitor like a webcam which when using the PC in the traditional way at a desk, is far too close for the xbox 360 kinect.

@Emile

I'm still waiting to hear back from my Microsoft Channel connection - he informed me yesterday that the Channel Development Manager is "As we speak, he is trying to get a direct contact person in Australia from whom you can connect & order one"

I'll let you know if I hear anything more from him...

Friday, February 3, 2012 3:51 AM
  • Ok I have the latest and it sounds like a bit of disorganisation on the Australian Microsoft/Supplier end

"Hi Matthew

Thank you for your patience on this.

Tough the Hardware & SDK is at Sydney, the reseller are yet have an on-line order LIVE. This is being worked out within a few days."

Friday, February 3, 2012 4:38 AM

Sunday, February 5, 2012 11:00 PM

Kinect for Windows has finally been released in Australia today! Only took me over a week of looking into and constant follow up with Microsoft but you can finally get your copy in the land of OZ from the following link. I believe more online retailers will follow soon. http://www.estore.com.au/Microsoft_Kinect_for_Windows_MST0004.aspx

Also I just heard the supplier Synnex is aware that they have the product now so they are more open to selling it now :-)

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:36 AM