locked
VS 2010, XSD, Database change RRS feed

  • Question

  • Using Visual Studio 2010 and an XSD to handle data sets and table adapters.

    I am moving the application's database objects to a new server (SQL 2005 to 2012). Along with moving to a new server I am taking this opportunity to put the database objects under their own database schema. Also, all of the objects will be slightly renamed. For example: "tblEval" to "hreval.EvalPeriod", and "tblEvaluations" to "hreval.Evaluations".

    How best to go about updating the XSD so as to minimize the rework? Can I just pop open the XSD file in a text editor and do a search and replace? Or am I best off biting the bullet and recreating it from scratch?

    Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Thank you.

    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 4:10 PM

Answers

  • Thank you Sofiya.

    My problem has/had nothing to do with XML or even XSD for that matter. After recreating the stored procedures my issue was resolved. I believe I did something wrong using the database object schema in the name of procedure. Once I fixed that I was able to use the TableAdapter Config Wizard in VS 2010 and re-wire them up to the new database and procedure name. Again, this had nothing to do with XML or XSD, it just so happens VS stores and defines these objects in an XSD file.

    Thanks

    • Marked as answer by ITMn0403 Thursday, April 3, 2014 2:39 PM
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 2:39 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    Because your issue is on XSD, I have moved this thread to XML, System.Xml, MSXML and XmlLite forum for better support and solutions.

    Best regards,

                    


    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:34 AM
  • Hi,

    Because your issue is on XSD, I have moved this thread to XML, System.Xml, MSXML and XmlLite forum for better support and solutions.

    Best regards,

                    


    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

    Well it's really a database issue, it's just Visual Studio stores this stuff in an XSD file and format. Visual Studio stores its configurations in XML, does that make every VS GUI issue and XML issue?

    The TableAdapter Configuration Wizard is tacking on "dbo" ahead of the procedure name and failing because that would make it an invalid object.

    • Edited by ITMn0403 Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:42 PM
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:34 PM
  • Hi ITMn,

    According to your description, we need to verify if you want to create XML schema collection via SQL Server XSD. Just like a TABLE has a schema which defines the columns, their data type, precision etc, the XML schema which is bound to a TYPED XML variable/column specifies the structure of the XML that it can store. To facilitate this, we need to create an XML schema which specifies the required structure of the XML and bind it to the column in the table. When a column or variable is bound to an XML schema, SQL Server will perform validations while inserting or updating data, to make sure that the value matches with the given XML schema. For more information, see: SQL Server XSD - Typed XML and SCHEMA Collections.

    Hope it can help.

    Regards,
    Sofiya Li


    Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

    Thursday, April 3, 2014 3:43 AM
  • Thank you Sofiya.

    My problem has/had nothing to do with XML or even XSD for that matter. After recreating the stored procedures my issue was resolved. I believe I did something wrong using the database object schema in the name of procedure. Once I fixed that I was able to use the TableAdapter Config Wizard in VS 2010 and re-wire them up to the new database and procedure name. Again, this had nothing to do with XML or XSD, it just so happens VS stores and defines these objects in an XSD file.

    Thanks

    • Marked as answer by ITMn0403 Thursday, April 3, 2014 2:39 PM
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 2:39 PM