none
EWS or any other MAPI tool: Read/Display 'PropertyTag' information for custom properties (0x8000-0x8FFF) per database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I did create a new custom named property "Mail_Archive" as described below (running in EWS E2K7_sp1 compatibility mode) to tag mails, which were some when archived in the past.

$MAIL_Archive = New-Object Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ExtendedPropertyDefinition( [Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.DefaultExtendedPropertySet]::PublicStrings, "MAIL_Archive", [Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.MapiPropertyType]::String)

The value is correctly stored with mail items & the MsgFolderRoot, but I cannot read the "PropertyTag" information for this custom property (0x800-0xFFFF) per store (as it differs from Exchange database to database). 

$item.ExtendedProperties[1].PropertyDefinition | fl
    returns

Version       : Exchange2007_SP1
    PropertySet   : PublicStrings
    PropertySetId :
    Tag           :
    Name          : MAIL_Archive
    Id            :
    MapiType      : String
    Type          : System.String

Microsoft points out in the 'ExtendedFieldURI' description
    (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa564843(v=EXCHG.80).aspx)

... The use of the PropertyTag attribute is prohibited for custom properties ...

But the data cannot be used as it is not displayed at all.

I need that information to run some further shell commands & tools (part of a 3rd party archiving solution).

Does a registry key setting may display that data ?
    Is there a chance to read the MAPI "PropertyTag" value for a custom named property per store by using EWS or any other tool / interface?

Thank you,

Volker Kußmann

Volker Kußmann
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 11:15 AM