Error when trying to run Timetracker on Laptop with IIS 5.1 RRS feed

• Question

• User-867743126 posted

Hi there, ive been trying to make my Time tracker application run on my Laptop's IIS server in preparation to publish it to my Work server, and although I dont havea  problem as I run it from Visual Studio as soon as I copy it too my Virtual directory it falls over with the following error.

Server Error in '/Timesheet' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       System.Web.Hosting.ISAPIWorkerRequestInProc.GetServerVariable(String name) +1841
       System.Web.Hosting.ISAPIWorkerRequest.ReadRequestHeaders() +121
       System.Web.Hosting.ISAPIWorkerRequest.GetKnownRequestHeader(Int32 index) +126
       System.Web.Hosting.ISAPIWorkerRequestInProc.GetKnownRequestHeader(Int32 index) +104
       System.Web.HttpWorkerRequest.HasEntityBody() +17
       System.Web.HttpRequest.GetEncodingFromHeaders() +223
       System.Web.HttpRequest.get_ContentEncoding() +48
       System.Web.Security.FormsAuthenticationModule.OnLeave(Object source, EventArgs eventArgs) +2255929
       System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +92
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +64

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

Now i'v had a loom aorund this site but so far I haven't been able to find a solution to this particular problem. I read that it may have somethink to do with having a web.config file in the root of the web server I don't. I also read it may have somethink to do with permissions, after re-doing the permissions for the entire web server and basically allowing open access on every directory and it still dont work, makes me really wonder what is wrong. It shouldn't be a coding error, the only thing I have changed in the code is allowing it to run off a SQL Server 2005 rather than a SQLexpress Server and that was all working fine when run from within Visual Studio, so i'm lost. Anything you reckon would help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Dan<!-- [NullReferenceException]: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at System.Web.Hosting.ISAPIWorkerRequestInProc.GetServerVariable(String name) at System.Web.Hosting.ISAPIWorkerRequest.ReadRequestHeaders() at System.Web.Hosting.ISAPIWorkerRequest.GetKnownRequestHeader(Int32 index) at System.Web.Hosting.ISAPIWorkerRequestInProc.GetKnownRequestHeader(Int32 index) at System.Web.HttpWorkerRequest.HasEntityBody() at System.Web.HttpRequest.GetEncodingFromHeaders() at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_ContentEncoding() at System.Web.Security.FormsAuthenticationModule.OnLeave(Object source, EventArgs eventArgs) at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) -->

Monday, January 16, 2006 3:13 PM

All replies

• User2027146445 posted
    Well I am stuck with same problem, seems like the problem is with IIS, detach the application from the root path for web sites (mostly inetpub\wwroot) and try running it in cassini...
    Thursday, February 16, 2006 10:01 AM
  • User-100650253 posted

C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i

Monday, March 24, 2008 12:49 AM
  • User555306248 posted

1) in VWD create a new Web Site and point it directly to your IIS local web server call it TimeTracker e.g. http://localhost/TimeTracker (since I have problem getting VWD web server to work using the Beta release) this step will create a web site on your local IIS, you can do this manually too.
    2) Unzip the file downloaded into the C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\TimeTracker and overwrite any files there.
    3) Launch the site in IE e.g. http://localhost/TimeTracker/Default.aspx

Check in web.config for connectionString, configure it according to your server name, password etc.

In Time Tracking System, it uses inbuild Membership classes for user creation, updation etc..

You have to register your DB with ASP.NET Membership classes by executing the command line utility in VS prompt

aspnet_regsql, it will open one window, where you  have to configure DB.

If thsi helpful to you please mark it as answer, So it will help for other people 

Hope it will help you, let me know.

Monday, March 24, 2008 11:22 PM
  • User555306248 posted

Have you solved your problem

If yes please mark it as answer which answer helpful to you

So it will help for other people

Monday, April 7, 2008 11:23 PM