Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 installs improperly RRS feed

• Question

•  I just upgraded from Visual Studio 2005 Professional to Visual Studio 2008 Professional (with SP1 installed also).  Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 is listed as installed under the VS Help dialog, but no key code is shown.  And when I attempt to open a Crystal Report, I get a dialog saying 'Please wait while Windows configures Crystal Reports Basic', which eventually terminates with an 'Invalid Keycode' message.  Also, whenever I open a solution from VS2005 in VS2008 -- even solutions that have no Crystal reports components -- the conversion wizard pops a dialog saying "Please wait while Windows configures Crystal Report Basic for Visual Studio 2008".  This takes several minutes, but does not result in the keycode finally appearing.

I've tried repairing the Visual Studio install, and even uninstalling and reinstalling the whole thing.  To no avail.

Other facts: My VS 2005 Professional version still works with its version of Crystal Reports.  I am running Vista Professional.  Looking in the registry, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Crystal Decisions | 10.2|Crystal Reports |  Keycodes | CR Ent, I see an entry under Default with a data value in the form xxxxxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [6 chars-7 chars-26 chars].  There are also entries for Serial, THX1138, and Version (10.2.0.0).  I believe this is the registration of my VS 2005 version of CR.

Looking in the registry, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Crystal Decisions | 10.5 | Crystal Reports,  Default says "value not set", and there are path entries for ChartSupportPath, CommonFiles, and Path.  Disable Check for Updates is set to 0.

The Windows\assembly folder has 25 files that are CrystalDecisions.xxx, version 10.5.3700.0.  This is consistent with my seeing 'Crystal Reports' listed as installed in VS 2008 Help.  It appears that CR 10.5 has installed, but without the key code.

Help! How do I get Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 to work?

• Moved by CaddreModerator Sunday, August 31, 2008 7:22 PM Wrong forum (Moved from Visual Studio Setup and Installation to Crystal Reports for Visual Studio)
    Saturday, August 30, 2008 9:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

Not sure how to solve your setup issue directly, but I want to share my experience to install the VS 2008.

We usually fresh install the Visual Studio 2008 express as opposed to upgraded from Visual Studio 2005, and the CR for VS 2008 works fine. You know, both the VS 2005 and VS 2008 can be installed in the same machine; there are no clashes between them.

So my suggestion will be uninstall the VS 2008, and fresh install the VS 2008 with Crystal report to overcome this issue.

Regards,

Xun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/csharpide/thread/8e9ed0d7-11ff-402a-8489-9b5f05eeb706
    • Edited by jack 321 Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:49 AM add a sentence
    • Marked as answer by jack 321 Friday, September 5, 2008 10:17 AM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Not sure how to solve your setup issue directly, but I want to share my experience to install the VS 2008.

We usually fresh install the Visual Studio 2008 express as opposed to upgraded from Visual Studio 2005, and the CR for VS 2008 works fine. You know, both the VS 2005 and VS 2008 can be installed in the same machine; there are no clashes between them.

So my suggestion will be uninstall the VS 2008, and fresh install the VS 2008 with Crystal report to overcome this issue.

Regards,

Xun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/csharpide/thread/8e9ed0d7-11ff-402a-8489-9b5f05eeb706
    • Edited by jack 321 Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:49 AM add a sentence
    • Marked as answer by jack 321 Friday, September 5, 2008 10:17 AM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:49 AM
  • I try to uninstall VS 2008 but it  just says there is a problem with the setup and then exits...how am I suppose to remove an application if it doesn't allow me to... (apart from deleting everything manually.. but that's a no go..

Dave
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 8:38 AM
  • I try to uninstall VS 2008 but it  just says there is a problem with the setup and then exits...how am I suppose to remove an application if it doesn't allow me to... (apart from deleting everything manually.. but that's a no go..

Dave
    Whoever has this problem:

In registry, navigate to
    HKLM /
    Software /
    'Crystal Decisions' or 'Business objects' /
    <version - 10.5 or something> /
    Crystal Reports /
    Keycodes /
    CR Ent

Verify that "CR Ent" exists - create if not. Modify its default value - set it to the value from this file:
    cr.txt

Restart VS and you should be all set.
    • Edited by Jordano Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:24 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ygurdag Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:37 AM
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:28 PM
  • Thanks, Thanks, Thanks,
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:39 AM
  • hi Zain
    i m also suffering from same problem
    Plz help me
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 12:34 PM
  • hi Jordano
    i m also suffering from same problem
    the link u provided to download the cr.txt is currently disabled
    Plz help me
    or mail me the solution on ateev.gupta83@gmail.com, ateev@pinnacsolutions.com
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 12:36 PM
  • Please send it to me too. I am facing the same problem.
    you can mail me on almakary85@hotmail.com

Thanks
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:45 PM
  • All:

Use the link in my previous post (it's fixed).
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Hello All,

Can anybody please tell me the path of 'CR.txt' file?

I have one problem that,  I uninstalled 'Crystal Report Basic For Visual Studio 2008 (10.5 version)' (which come with VS2008) and installed 'Crystal Report Basic For Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1'. But after installation, my Registry does not contain 'CR Ent' node and its value under 'Business Objects -> 10.5 -> Crystal Reports -> Keycodes'.

Also, my .rpt files created with previous version does not has logo of Crystal Report. Even I can't create new Crystal Report from VS2008 workspace. When I run my application which has CR created with previous version , it says CrystalDecision dlls are missing. When I check them, these dlls are present in the Program Files folder.

Whats wrong am I doing?  How can I work with this new SP1 version?
    Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Monday, September 7, 2009 2:36 PM
  • Hello All,

Can anybody please tell me the path of 'CR.txt ' file?

I have one problem that,  I uninstalled 'Crystal Report Basic For Visual Studio 2008 (10.5 version)' (which come with VS2008) and installed 'Crystal Report Basic For Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1'. But after installation, my Registry does not contain 'CR Ent' node and its value under 'Business Objects -> 10.5 -> Crystal Reports -> Keycodes'.

Also, my .rpt files created with previous version does not has logo of Crystal Report. Even I can't create new Crystal Report from VS2008 workspace. When I run my application which has CR created with previous version , it says CrystalDecision dlls are missing. When I check them, these dlls are present in the Program Files folder.

Whats wrong am I doing?  How can I work with this new SP1 version?
    Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Click the link in my post. Create that node (or any other node that is missing in the registry path). Regarding your uninstalled/reinstalled CR - try re-installing the whole string from scratch because I myself faced a lot of issues with SP1 installation - it's best to reinstall. (and then do what I suggested in my previous post)
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:19 PM

Dave
    Whoever has this problem:

In registry, navigate to
    HKLM /
    Software /
    'Crystal Decisions' or 'Business objects' /
    <version - 10.5 or something> /
    Crystal Reports /
    Keycodes /
    CR Ent

Verify that "CR Ent" exists - create if not. Modify its default value - set it to the value from this file:
    cr.txt

Restart VS and you should be all set.

Jordano, could you go to regedit, rightclick the keycodes 'key' and export a file, and post it here?
    thanks
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 10:41 AM
  • Did everything listed and still does not work Any ideas

This is so frustrating and UNBILLABLE!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:25 PM
  • A good idea would be not to use Crystal any more ever again.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:09 PM