Windows 10: Is the People app going away (?) and how does this affect my app which uses contact provider interface RRS feed

• Question

• The "People" app seemed to disappear from the Windows 10 app store, and can only be retrieved from the non-beta windows 10 app store by running something from the powershell (see: insider hub).  

Is the people app going away?

How does that affect my windows app, specifically if it relies on the ContactProvider interface which was by default referencing the people app.

-Rob

-Rob

• Edited by Rob Wilkens Wednesday, March 25, 2015 12:40 PM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2015 12:39 PM

Answers

• In Windows 10 there is simply a Windows App, which is the equivalent of a Store app (and will run on any Windows 10 form factor).

A Windows 10 app is the evolution of the store app and Windows phone app into a single app that will run on everything. It's essentially a Windows 8.1 Universal app but with the extra capability to run on Xbox and IoT devices, yet with a much simpler development model (no need for multiple projects to support different device types, better UI adaptability, etc.).

Microsoft showed the people hub replacement in one of the Windows 10 videos recently. They didn't explain much, but it looks similar to the Windows 8.1 one. I don't see why they would break backwards compatibility with it.

If you want more information look up recent videos on Channel 9. They demoed a Windows 10 App and explained some of the ways the new app model improves the Windows 8.1 model.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

• Marked as answer by Rob Wilkens Thursday, March 26, 2015 10:37 AM
    Thursday, March 26, 2015 3:10 AM

All replies

• The easiest way to find out likely would be to install the Preview SDK for Windows 10 and check wether or not the APIs exist there and if not what extension they reside in now (e.g. only Mobile or something like that).

I'd guess the API will still be available given that a contact store in a basic form even exists in Windows 7.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 1:02 PM
  • Not an answer, but helpful, thanks.

I installed Visual Studio tools for Windows 10.

I do not know or understand whether or not there is  a "Store" app type in  Windows 10 -- Visual Studio CTP6 offers a "store" type which creates Windows 8/universal apps i think, but i didn't see a store app type for Windows 10.

Opening my existing Windows 8 app in VSCTP6 does nothing to migrate the projet to a new type.

If this is the death of store apps, perhaps good riddance (though it helped fund my hobby)...  I may or may not move my app to another app type if i've got nothing else to do.

-Rob

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 1:06 PM
  • In Windows 10 there is simply a Windows App, which is the equivalent of a Store app (and will run on any Windows 10 form factor).

A Windows 10 app is the evolution of the store app and Windows phone app into a single app that will run on everything. It's essentially a Windows 8.1 Universal app but with the extra capability to run on Xbox and IoT devices, yet with a much simpler development model (no need for multiple projects to support different device types, better UI adaptability, etc.).

Microsoft showed the people hub replacement in one of the Windows 10 videos recently. They didn't explain much, but it looks similar to the Windows 8.1 one. I don't see why they would break backwards compatibility with it.

If you want more information look up recent videos on Channel 9. They demoed a Windows 10 App and explained some of the ways the new app model improves the Windows 8.1 model.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

• Marked as answer by Rob Wilkens Thursday, March 26, 2015 10:37 AM
    Thursday, March 26, 2015 3:10 AM
  • Thank You.  I gotta spend some time getting up-to-speed.

It sounds like if i want to keep working on my existing app (I'm not sure i do) i'll need to create a new project and migrate it by hand.  I probably should come up with a new idea/project.

A quick search indicates they are 'universal apps'

http://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2015/03/02/a-first-look-at-the-windows-10-universal-app-platform/ 

-Rob

-Rob

Thursday, March 26, 2015 10:49 AM