none
Does Wiindows 10 support legacy Bluetooth version? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Please tell me whether Windows 10 fully supports legacy Bluetooth version or not. The 'legacy' mean it doesn't support Secure Simple Pairing.

I have some problems in Bluetooth connection with legacy Bluetooth version devices in W10. For example, L2cap open connection failed (always timed out without connection), and having trouble in ACL connection mode change in connection with another legacy Bt device.

For your reference, all the legacy devices work flawlessly in previous Windows 7,8(.1),Vista.

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, September 17, 2015 7:04 PM

All replies

• can you name specific devices which are giving you issues?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 18, 2015 7:45 AM
  • Hi, Doron Holan,

The second device is old Macbook white (OSX10.7 Macbook3,1). I have found one problem.

When Win7 & Win10 open l2cap connection to Macbook, both try to switch role (slave to master) and Win10 fails while Win7 succeeds in the same HW condition.

Win7 HCI Role Change Event:  12 08 00 BB TT HH AA DD RR 00

Win10 HCI Role Change Event: 12 08 0C BB TT HH AA DD RR 01

The BTH HCI spec: The error code (0C) means "command disallowed" indicates that the command requested cannot be executed because the controller is in a state where it cannot process this command at this time.

I think the problem may come from one missing command in Win10 while there is in Win7, and that is HCI_Write_Link_Policy_Setting before the HCI_Switch_Role. Here is the command in Win7:

0D 08 04 2A 00 0F 00

This command is missing in Win10 and I have checked there is no Write Default Link Policy Settings.

• Edited by Seungjin Lee Thursday, September 24, 2015 3:24 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 7:52 PM
  • For your reference, when Win10 tries to connect to Retina MBP, Win10 is not trying to switch role, then no problem for the condition.
    • Edited by Seungjin Lee Thursday, September 24, 2015 3:25 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:07 PM