How to get IE7 to behave with Office 2007 docs same way it does with Office 2003 docs (and with other file types)? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1048290114 posted

When I open (via a hyperlink) a 2003 doc I get a popup asking if I want to open, save or cancel.

When I try to open an 2007 doc same way it tells me "Page not found". So, it treats these new OpenXML formats (.docx, .xlsx etc) as "webpages" or, most likely as XML files and wants to open them. I need "old" behavior with that popup so users can either save docs to their local machines or open using their local appropriate Office program.

How to get IE7 to behave with Office 2007 docs same way it does with Office 2003 docs (and with other file types)?

If I remove "x" from extension on both, server and hyperlink, IE7 now thinks it is a 2003 doc, I get the popup and everything is OK. When I open the doc, Office 2007 app correctly complains that format does not match extension but still can open the doc... I need it to treat new format in same fashion as old... any ideas?

thanks 

Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:46 PM

Answers

• User-412143556 posted

There is NO registered MIME types on the server, so I am not sure it is the right spot to look...

And it kind of does not  make sense to me just yet why the problem can be on the server at all - browser runs on a client machine, opens a name.xls one way, but when it gets name.xlsx from server it is the local browser who instead if popping up same question OPEN/SAVE/CANCEL thinks that it knows better and just tries to open that name.xlsx as an XML file... Seems to me (so far) that it is browser settings (or something else on the client) need some tweaking... 

thanks

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:59 AM

All replies

• User197322208 posted

try register mime type of docx on server like the way it is doc...

Thursday, March 4, 2010 2:44 AM
  • User-412143556 posted

how do I do that?

Thursday, March 4, 2010 6:41 AM
  • User197322208 posted

If you have acces on the server, start IIS from Administrative tools , right click your site, properties, and search for mime types ( depend on IIS version)

If you do not have acces to the server, ask for hosting help

Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:04 AM
  • User-412143556 posted

There is NO registered MIME types on the server, so I am not sure it is the right spot to look...

And it kind of does not  make sense to me just yet why the problem can be on the server at all - browser runs on a client machine, opens a name.xls one way, but when it gets name.xlsx from server it is the local browser who instead if popping up same question OPEN/SAVE/CANCEL thinks that it knows better and just tries to open that name.xlsx as an XML file... Seems to me (so far) that it is browser settings (or something else on the client) need some tweaking... 

thanks

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:59 AM