TFS 2008 migration clarification required

Question

• The main help for the integration tools has

The August 2010 release includes the following features:

• Out of the box adapter to Team Foundation Server 2010
    • Out of the box adapter to Team Foundation Server 2008

When you use the utility you are only prompted with a tfs2010 VC / WIT Provider

When you point at a tfs2008 DB you get an error when you run.

>> Where do i find the tfs 2008 VC / WIT provider ?

Can someone give specifics as the doco seems to have only TFS 2010 examples and herein lies the irony. Surely you want to migrate from something earlier to later, yet the earlier examples are missing ?

Sorry to sound grumpy but this is frustrating...

>> Migration team, can you get us across the line ?

Thanks

Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:16 AM

Answers

• Have a look at the TFS Integration Platform Configuration document, section "Sample Configuration Files", which discusses the configuration file and a number of sample files.

In your case I am assuming that you are running the TFS Integration Toos on a system that only has the Team Explorer 2010 installed. If you install the Team Explorer 2008 on the same system, you will asee the 2008 adapters light up and the TFS Integration admini tool, for example, will show both the 2008 and 2010 adapters in the drop-downs.

• Marked as answer by Greg B Roberts Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:23 AM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 4:43 PM

All replies

• Edit the config - this post by Willy-Peter should help, doesn't state TFS2008 but the steps are the same: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/willy-peter_schaub/archive/2010/01/12/tfs-integration-platform-how-can-i-setup-the-custom-adapter-poc-on-a-tfs-2010-only-system-question-answer-18.aspx

Surely you want to migrate from something earlier

This is an integration platform, so migrate is a big focus but so is sync between different TFS 2010 servers and environments

Robert MacLean - www.sadev.co.za
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:22 AM
  • OK

The article seems to impy that the kit at the time was for tfs2008 and he wanted a tfs2010 adaptor XML file.

Yet the version available now (Nov 2010) seems to have the tfs 2010 info but not the tfs 2008. (NB: running utility on tfs 2010 server)

This suggests to be that the values for me to make a tfs 2008 file are unknown? because the article shows what they need to be for tfs 2010.

>> So unless i have missed some point, i am not across the line and it does not explain why the kit does not have this file ?

>> Also the article referenced, i don't see how the configuration manager of a specific solution in Step 1 is related to Step 2 which is editing an unknown xml file ?

The kit has the 2008 and 2010 dll adaptors under "plugins" so i don't understand why the choice of using a tfs 2008 adaptor is not available ?

Thanks

NB: I installed the November dump of the tools, no difference. As i downloaded the August version recently, i am not sure where the august version came from.

• Unmarked as answer by Greg B Roberts Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:23 AM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 3:32 AM
  • Have a look at the TFS Integration Platform Configuration document, section "Sample Configuration Files", which discusses the configuration file and a number of sample files.

In your case I am assuming that you are running the TFS Integration Toos on a system that only has the Team Explorer 2010 installed. If you install the Team Explorer 2008 on the same system, you will asee the 2008 adapters light up and the TFS Integration admini tool, for example, will show both the 2008 and 2010 adapters in the drop-downs.

Friday, February 18, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Thanks Willy

Funny how a simple bit of info like having both tfs's installed to be given the option can make all the difference.

If i have been blind and the doco clearly states this then my apologies, otherwise i think this could be made more clear in the doco.

Thanks again

I close this (saturday) and assume i will be running on gas.

Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:23 AM
  • I will double-checjk the documentation tomorrow and also create a blog post, just in case :) Thanks for the candid feedback and raising this issue.
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:58 AM
  • I just ran into this issue also, thinking i had read a lot of the documentation and I don't remember this little tidbit.  How about a systems requirements list?  I do remember asking myself, where should I install this tool, on the 2008 box, 2010 box or my own box.  I ended up on my own with a full SQL, so I guess I made the right decision.  I did remember running into an answer, but it was way into my research, not at the beginning where you're talking about the installation of the tool.  Onto installing TeamExplorer 2008!
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:15 PM