none
Keep Row or Column Selected in Excel RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello all,

Now more than ever multiple monitor setups are common...especially with data entry users. I often see many office workers going back and forth between one screen on Excel and the other screen for their entry destination program.

Many users and myself will select a row or a column as a reference point to keep their place or eyes on a certain part of the Excel spreadsheet. But obviously as soon as you move your mouse onto the other monitor and click to begin entering data, the Excel window is no longer primary and so it 'hides' the selected area, even though you may have the Excel spreadsheet still visible.

There are some work arounds - such as using Fill Color to temporarily format the selection to a different color than the main spreadsheet so it is more obviously visible, and then reverting back when done with that information. But that can be time consuming and does not work as well if the spreadsheet already has Alternate Rows setup for Conditional Formatting. 

I have searched other forums online and have found the same request posed several years back but a lack of more current feedback. 

Can this be addressed in a future update? Even as a setting preference or as a right-click shortcut menu would be amazing!

Until then do any of you have other work around suggestions? What works best for you?

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 3:30 AM

All replies

• Hi MindyKite4,

I agree with you 120%.
    I'd like to add one thing.  Even if we're using a single monitor, a selected/active cell is not visible when we click on outside of Excel (e.d. when click on other application window or Desktop).  

Regards,

Ashidacchi -- http://hokusosha.com

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 4:26 AM
  • Thank you Ashidacchi!

That is very true, and I'm glad you brought it up because it underscores again why this would be a really useful update.

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 7:28 PM