Xamarin.Android Subscription is required RRS feed

• Question

• User89285 posted

Hello,

Im trying to evaluate the software and using Xamarin Android player as my target device I get the error: Xamarin.Andorid subscription is required to use this beta. Please login.

However I am logged in via the Xamarin studio and via the website I cant find any way to add a subscription to this service. Is it a paid for service I need to look for somewhere or available in one of the paid for accounts ? I would really like to give this feature a try before committing to purchase the software.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Monday, November 24, 2014 12:46 AM

Answers

• User48786 posted

For anyone else having this problem on OSX, my issue seemed to be that I installed the player app on a different drive than xam studio. As soon as I installed it on the same drive it opened fine. (I have a business subscription)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:11 PM
  • User68584 posted

@BenBrown.7725

Here's what I did this morning that got me further along. Maybe this will help you figure something out:

Logged-in to the admin account (first time ever on this Mac)

Launched XS (first time ever as admin)

XS "Account..." showed something like "Unidentified Code Monkey" and iOS and Mac subscriptions (Starter I believe - not Indie, anyway)

At this point I remembered your script, so I ran it in Terminal. Same as before: Starter edition detected

Back in XS, logged-in to my Xamarin account

XS "Account..." showed my account info, but only iOS and Mac Indie subscriptions (no Android)

After a bit, I found that I needed to point the XS android sdk and ndk settings at my standard account's ~/Library/Developer/Xamarin/... paths. Kinda non-intuitive (needed to set permissions on the other account's ~/Library directory so admin account could access it).

Now XS "Account..." showed iOS, Mac, and Android Indie subscriptions

Your script showed: Pass! (yay)

I was so confident this would make everything work, I switched back to my standard account and tried XAP...

Nope. Same thing: "A Xamarin.Android subscription is required to use this beta."

It was at this point that I realized I hadn't actually tried XAP while logged-in as admin, so I tried it... Worked.

So, at this point, all accounts "Pass!" the test, but my standard account still complains that "A Xamarin.Android subscription is required to use this beta."

edit: Also just tried logging out and back in to my Xamarin account in XS (thought maybe this time it would work). Still no go.

edit2: just tried re-installing XAP again (thought maybe after everything above, this might do something). Still no go.

Monday, March 2, 2015 2:50 PM

All replies

• User1044 posted

Maybe @gmunn knows. Greg?

Monday, November 24, 2014 9:40 PM
  • User43360 posted

@Will_Schaller? is probably you're best bet for this one I think.

@jamescowie?, do you have a paid Xamarin.Android subscription yet or are you evaluating using the Starter Edition? I have a feeling that you can't use the Starter Edition with Xamarin Android Player. Will can correct me if I'm wrong.

Monday, November 24, 2014 9:46 PM
  • User91536 posted

Any resolution on this? I have signed up for android starter and I log in to Xamarin studios with my account but I still get the "A Xamarin.Android subscription is required to use this beta. "

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:49 PM
  • User48786 posted

For anyone else having this problem on OSX, my issue seemed to be that I installed the player app on a different drive than xam studio. As soon as I installed it on the same drive it opened fine. (I have a business subscription)

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:11 PM
  • User68584 posted

I have an Indie Android subscription.

I'm using Mac OS X with Xamarin Studio.

I have a single drive (everything is installed on one drive).

When I double-click "Xamarin Android Player.app", I get "A Xamarin.Android subscription is required to use this beta."

Please help! Thanks!

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 6:33 PM
  • User101790 posted

@AaronNascimento Unfortunately XAP will not run with a starter edition of Xamarin.Android, if you wish to try it out you can start a Xamarin.Android trial.

@spotcatbug Hmm, out of interest, could check the output of cat ~/Library/MonoAndroid/Entitlements | awk '{print $3}' is not "Starter" while logged into XS?

Thursday, February 26, 2015 2:40 PM
  • User68584 posted

@BenBrown.7725

cat ~/Library/MonoAndroid/Entitlements | awk '{print $3}'

gives:

Indie

Thursday, February 26, 2015 6:32 PM
  • User101790 posted

@spotcatbug I'm beginning to run out of ideas :worried: Could you run this and let me know what the output is?

Friday, February 27, 2015 1:03 PM
  • User68584 posted

@BenBrown.7725

Output:

Pass!

Friday, February 27, 2015 1:42 PM
  • User68584 posted

@BenBrown.7725

I finally took a look at the bugzilla entry for this bug (completely forgot about that until about 10 minutes ago). I saw the comment about replicating the issue when launching XAP as other than installing user. I've added a further comment on the bug entry that I think is relevant.

It has now occurred to me that I should run your script as the "admin" user (not as my "Standard" user). Output of that:

Starter edition detected

As I commented in bugzilla, my account is not an admin account (pretty normal in the Mac world). If the XAP installer required admin rights (I suspect it did), I would have had to enter the admin account credentials and installation would have proceeded from that point as the admin user, I guess making the installing and launching users different.

Friday, February 27, 2015 2:19 PM
  • User101790 posted

@spotcatbug The script was intended to be run without root priveleges, but the pass has left me somewhat perplexed.The installation does require an admin password, but I have tested XAP on a "Standard" user account and it runs without the subscription required dialog getting in my way.

I have no idea why you're getting the dialog :confused:

Friday, February 27, 2015 6:18 PM
  • User68584 posted

@BenBrown.7725

The installation does require an admin password, but I have tested XAP on a "Standard" user account and it runs without the subscription required dialog getting in my way.

I'm getting out of my depth here - I don't know how any of this stuff is meant to work - but on that Mac where you tested with a "Standard" user account, does the admin account have better than Starter entitlements?

Friday, February 27, 2015 6:24 PM
  • User101790 posted

@spotcatbug Only if I'm logged into XS on the admin account, in this instance I wasn't. Perhaps see if logging into XS on your admin account allows XAP to run?

Only other thing I can suggest is reinstalling XAP, though I suspect you may have already tried this.

Monday, March 2, 2015 10:25 AM
  • User68584 posted

@BenBrown.7725

Here's what I did this morning that got me further along. Maybe this will help you figure something out:

Logged-in to the admin account (first time ever on this Mac)

Launched XS (first time ever as admin)

XS "Account..." showed something like "Unidentified Code Monkey" and iOS and Mac subscriptions (Starter I believe - not Indie, anyway)

At this point I remembered your script, so I ran it in Terminal. Same as before: Starter edition detected

Back in XS, logged-in to my Xamarin account

XS "Account..." showed my account info, but only iOS and Mac Indie subscriptions (no Android)

After a bit, I found that I needed to point the XS android sdk and ndk settings at my standard account's ~/Library/Developer/Xamarin/... paths. Kinda non-intuitive (needed to set permissions on the other account's ~/Library directory so admin account could access it).

Now XS "Account..." showed iOS, Mac, and Android Indie subscriptions

Your script showed: Pass! (yay)

I was so confident this would make everything work, I switched back to my standard account and tried XAP...

Nope. Same thing: "A Xamarin.Android subscription is required to use this beta."

It was at this point that I realized I hadn't actually tried XAP while logged-in as admin, so I tried it... Worked.

So, at this point, all accounts "Pass!" the test, but my standard account still complains that "A Xamarin.Android subscription is required to use this beta."

edit: Also just tried logging out and back in to my Xamarin account in XS (thought maybe this time it would work). Still no go.

edit2: just tried re-installing XAP again (thought maybe after everything above, this might do something). Still no go.

Monday, March 2, 2015 2:50 PM
  • User33738 posted

Any additional progress on this one? I just migrated to a new Mac, running Xamarin Studio, have enterprise license for Android and am encountering the same error.

Friday, March 13, 2015 5:07 PM
  • User33738 posted

Ok, so my version of the issue was self-inflicted, I had copied the contents of my old Mac to my new one, including the /Library/XAP folder.

The fix that worked for me was to completely remove the /Library/XAP folder and reinstall Xamarin Android Player.

Friday, March 13, 2015 8:44 PM
  • User68584 posted

XAP 0.3.7 fixed this issue for me.

Friday, April 10, 2015 1:45 PM