Write to Access Database inside the website App_Data folder RRS feed

• Question

• User-1593004730 posted

Greetings Folks,

An associate wants to store an Access database in the App_Data folder of a website that lives on a local server and write new data to it daily from Microsoft Access on a client computer on the local network.

Internet users will access the Access data from the website.

Is it possibe to write to an Access database in the App_Data folder of a website that lives on a local server using Microsoft Access? And also connect and read with ASP.Net?

The internet connection is "Read Only".

Many Thanks for some input!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:20 PM

All replies

• User-1199946673 posted

Is it possibe to write to an Access database in the App_Data folder of a website that lives on a local server using Microsoft Access? And also connect and read with ASP.Net?

As long as you give the user that is connecting to this databse Modify rights on the App_Data folder, this should be possible... Did you try it already?

I'm curious what you mean with this?

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:41 PM
  • User-1878433365 posted

Hello,

The website will identify itself as one user to your database and you can instruct to use it as read only. Your other users can read and also change data on the database. This scenario should work.

Here's a great article about multi-user access. It does a good review about several topics that you'll find when you attempt to do this.

Upgrading your Access Application for a Multi-user Environment
    By: Peter Lavin

http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/Microsoft-Access/Upgrading-your-Access-Application-for-a-Multi-user-Environment/ 

MS Access is not an industrial-strength database like Oracle or DB2 nor does it pretend to be. It is best suited for desktop applications. However, it is often the case that an existing application needs to be upgraded for a multi-user environment. Depending on circumstances, it is not always necessary to implement a true client/server RDBMS. If demands are fairly modest, Access can function satisfactorily in a multi-user environment. This article will deal with the issues that arise when upgrading an Access-based application and will take you through the major steps necessary to upgrade your desktop Access database application for a multi-user environment.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:41 PM
  • User-1593004730 posted

Thanks very much to you guys.

This is a lot of good info you allowed. I am somewhat familiar with Access, I've built and used a few databases with it for use on the web.

I never tried setting up a share on the App_Data folder and writing to the database with Microsoft Access while simultaneously serving data from the database on a website.

I just now set up the share on App_Data and connected to the database with the website running. I am able to read and write with Access and read data into a GridView using an OLEDB connection. So, it looks like it works OK at this point.

Hopefully, it will continue to work without issues.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 8:42 PM
  • User-1593004730 posted

I'm curious what you mean with this?

I guess that is a bit ambiguous.

I have no facility (function, code, etc.) for the Internet user to write to the database. He can only get data from a read-only GridView display.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 8:47 PM