Troubles with IIS 5.1 RRS feed

• Question

• User-826667064 posted
      I have again troubles with IIS which I don't have a solution. I can' t see the page if change the user to IUSR_MyComputer and I can' t run ASP.NET 2.0. 
      The server was working  fine  until changed to  another  network (PPPoE network) in the old network I had a static IP. 
      Do you know if  I can see ASP pages from other computers if had an account on freedns.org (works with Apache\Tomcat servers)?
    Wednesday, May 10, 2006 1:54 PM

All replies

• User-1853252149 posted

I have again troubles with IIS which I don't have a solution. I can' t see the page if change the user to IUSR_MyComputer and I can' t run ASP.NET 2.0. 
      The server was working  fine  until changed to  another  network (PPPoE network) in the old network I had a static IP. 
      Do you know if  I can see ASP pages from other computers if had an account on freedns.org (works with Apache\Tomcat servers)?

Lots of rambling but little useful information.  "Can't run ASP.NET" could be a lot of things.  The fact that it "worked fine" until you changed the network indicates that's what broke it.  Seeing "ASP pages" has nothing to with ASP.NET, ASP and ASP.NET are two different things.  Apache is a web server that doesn't natively run ASP.NET and Tomcat is for Java Applets, which again have nothing to do with ASP.NET.

So, tell us exactly what you mean by "can't run ASP.NET 2.0"  How do you know?  What happens if you try?  We can diagnose error messages, if they're provided.  Check to see if the system works locally, from the web server itself.  If so, and not across th internet, it's not IIS, it's your networking/routing/NAT/firewall/Name Resolution or something else outside the server.

Jeff

Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:37 AM
  • User-826667064 posted
       Sorry , I rushed  to put the previous post and that my knowledge of the english language is poor.  I tried to give as much information as I can.    I hope this help to clarify the questions that you have.

If the server is set to work across the Internet
    (User Name:  MyComputer\IUSR_MyComputer
    the authentification modes (Basic and Windows) are not selected(checked) Anonymus Acces is selected)) the following error appears for any pages that are on the website (asp, aspx, html) in the browser :

You are not authorized to view this page

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

Please try the following:

• Click the Refresh button to try again with different credentials.
    • If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the <script> <!-- if (!((window.navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MSIE") > 0) && (window.navigator.appVersion.charAt(0) == "2"))) { Homepage(); } //--> </script>localhost:6550 home page.

HTTP 401.1 - Unauthorized: Logon Failed
    Internet Information Services

Technical Information (for support personnel)

If I set for local use (MyComputer\MyAccount_MyComputer) to see aspx pages or any pages (the ASP.NET 2.0) that I written in VWD
    The pages that contain VBScript code that comply to ASP 3 work locally (I don' t get any error messages).

Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable.  Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

I mention that ASP.NET 2.0 is registered in IIS 5.1 (updated the metabase with asp_regiis.exe), I set permissions for IUSR_MyComputer for the folder (I speak about the NTSF permissions) which contains the website.
       The firewall is set to permit connections to the IIS server module. The server crashes sometimes along with the Internet connection when I use Yahoo Messenger.  
      The errors that I mentioned appeared after I changed to a different type a network  (the ISP calls it a PPPoE network)  that works with dynamic IP address.

I wanted to know if I get a subdomain on www.freedns.org and a client from the same site my website (
    which is on the IIS server), will be seen by others (from other networks, better putt: people who surf the Internet),. I said about Apache and Tomcat because my collegues (who work with them (the servers) and host their websites on their computers) said that it works fine. I didn' t set anything in IIS for this.

Friday, May 12, 2006 6:02 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted

Most likely the error is due to your having a dynamic IP address and you're no longer able to access the server directly from outside your network.  Check the server locally.  If it works there, it's not IIS, it's your routing or network connections.  Also, if you're using a domain name in the URL, try the IP address assigned dynamically, as in http://192.168.0.1/Default.htm.

Jeff

Friday, May 12, 2006 7:34 AM
  • User-826667064 posted
     Locally the VBScript pages work (pages who comply with ASP 3.x ), pages that comply ASP.NET (1.1 or 2.0) don' t work they are not shown,  the  error message that appears is :
      Service  not  available.

If I change the IP in the console (Default Web Site Properties\IP address\Advance\Add) the server gives the 401.1 message from the outside.
      Unfortunatly  www.freedns.org  gives  you  only  a domain,  it  routes  the  visitor to your  server.

Saturday, May 13, 2006 8:35 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted

Okay, are you trying to get ASP.NET pages working?  If so, let's start with that, forget about outside access for the moment.  Have you installed the .NET Framework?  If so, try:

http://forums.asp.net/thread/576170.aspx

If you installed the 2.0 framework change the path accordingly.

Now test your system locally, using the system's IP address and the site set to All Unassigned IP addresses.  Use a Hello World ASPX page.  When this works, we'll work on access from external systems.

Jeff

Saturday, May 13, 2006 11:25 PM
  • User-826667064 posted
    At first when the pages weren' t displayed I thought this  was the  problem  and  registered again NET 2.0, but it didn ' t.  The  error  message is (in the log appears only the browser and the request):

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable.  Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

Sunday, May 14, 2006 6:55 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted

Did you look in the application event log?  Administratitve Tools -> Event Viewer.

Jeff

Sunday, May 14, 2006 9:27 PM
  • User-826667064 posted
    Here are the warning and error messages from Event Viewer which occured when I tried running an aspx file (complies with ASP.NET 2.0):

First is the warning

Failed to initialize the AppDomain:/LM/W3SVC/1/Root/Testing

Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException
    Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. Access is denied.

The first error
    Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does not have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005 Access is denied. 

The second one
    aspnet_wp.exe  (PID: 1904) stopped unexpectedly.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 3:30 AM
  • User-823196590 posted
    Is the Testing app running in high isolation or medium protection in IIS?
    Tuesday, May 16, 2006 8:59 AM
  • User-826667064 posted
    The virtual folder Testing is set to medium in Application protection .
    Tuesday, May 16, 2006 1:26 PM
  • User-823196590 posted
    If you restart the w3svc does it clear the error?
    Tuesday, May 16, 2006 2:55 PM
  • User-826667064 posted
     If w3csvc is the World Wide Web Publishing Service in Services if didn't work.  I  am reinstalling  .NET  v  2.0, VWD (the develpment server doesn' t work anymore).
    Wednesday, May 17, 2006 1:38 AM
  • User-823196590 posted
    Has that helped?
    Wednesday, May 17, 2006 8:19 AM
  • User-826667064 posted
    No,  I  reinstalled  Net Framework and VWD and now the development server doesn'  t work for ASP.NET  2.0 pages. [:'(] . I thinking of reinstalling Windows XP.
    Wednesday, May 17, 2006 8:30 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted

Try running aspnet_regiis.exe -ga {domain}\{process account}.  Use your domain name if any, and the ASP.NET process account, normally ASPNET on IIS 5.1.

Jeff

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 9:32 AM
  • User-826667064 posted
    If I put aspnet_regiis.exe testare.ns3.crabdance.com\ASPNET, I get the message:
    Start granting testare.ns3.crabdance.com\ASPNET access to the IIS metabase and o
    ther directories used by ASP.NET.
    The user 'testare.ns3.crabdance.com\ASPNET' does not exist.
    testare.ns3.crabdance.com\ASPNET is the domain I got from www.freedns.org.
    Wednesday, May 17, 2006 2:17 PM
  • User-823196590 posted
    No - domain is either your Windows machine name or the Windows network domain name you have setup.  Most likely in your case it's the machine name.
    Wednesday, May 17, 2006 2:33 PM
  • User-1853252149 posted

And if it's a local account, which you would have if you have no Windows domain set up, you can usually get by with just the account name, ASPNET.

Jeff

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 4:00 PM
  • User-826667064 posted
    I gave the following comand aspnet_regiis -ga MyComputer\ ASPNET won' t run )
    The result:
    Start granting  MyComputer\ASPNET access to the IIS metabase and other directories used by ASP.NET.
    Finished granting MyComputer\ASPNETaccess to the IIS metabase and other directories used by ASP.NET.

But the aspx file Hello World won't work (it works if I run it in development server) the error show in browser:

Errors shown in Event Viewer

Failed to initialize the AppDomain:/LM/W3SVC/1/Root/Testare
    Event ID 1073
    Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException
    Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. Access is denied.

Event ID 1089
    Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does not have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005 Access is denied. 

Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:07 AM
  • User-826667064 posted
    Thanks for the links with their help I managed to make IIS to work locally  on  my  account and most important IUSR_MyComputer. But externally it gives the message Cannot find server and Connection timeout even if use the client from freedns.org [:(].
    Friday, May 19, 2006 7:25 AM
  • User-823196590 posted
    That's a networking issue then.  Tell us about your configuration.
    Friday, May 19, 2006 8:58 AM
  • User-826667064 posted
    I am in a network which uses PPPoE protocol (which works with a dynamic IP address assigned by a server).
    Saturday, May 20, 2006 5:15 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted

Return to message 4 in this thread.

Jeff

Saturday, May 20, 2006 8:45 AM
  • User-826667064 posted
    Forgot to put in the address the port number next to the IP address. [:$]
    Now it works fine IIS (I hope it stays the same). 
    Thank very much guys ! 
    Saturday, May 20, 2006 12:26 PM
  • User-823196590 posted
    Whew!  You are welcome.
    Monday, May 22, 2006 8:33 AM